Remote Extension via Internet configuration

Unanswered Question
Nov 11th, 2009
User Badges:

Hi,

Sorry if this topic is covered already but I can't find an answer...

I want to connect an IP phone (either hardware or softphone) to the SPA9000 from internet (not via VPN)

Firstly my SPA9000 is behind NAT firewall. This firewall is configured to direct UDP port 6060 to the IP address of the SPA9000. I can setup softphone such as X-Lite and PhonerLite within the LAN and it works fine. However if I setup from Internet location the phone registers ok and a dialed extension will ring but when picked up neither party can hear eachother?

NAT Support Parameters

Handle VIA received:    Yes   Handle VIA rport:       Yes

Insert VIA received:    Yes   Insert VIA rport:       Yes

Substitute VIA Addr:    Yes   Send Resp To Src Port:  Yes

STUN Enable:            No    STUN Test Enable:       No

STUN Server:                  EXT IP:                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (external ip of firewall)

EXT RTP Port Min:             NAT Keep Alive Intvl:   15

softphonesetup:

Proxy:          xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6060

Stun Server:    [blank]

username:       9yy

password:       [Phone ext password] as defined in SPA9000

softphone shows: sip:[email protected] Registered

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
William Childs Thu, 11/12/2009 - 04:48
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Jim,

Try changing the extension of the offsite phone. I have found that if you define 800 (my case was a hunt group) as a different extension, it will not work properly.

I would set their exentsion to something in the 400 or 500 range to see if that will resolve the issue. The reason I think the 800 and 900 extension give problems is the SPA400 mailbox manage and deposit number is 800 and 900.

Good Luck,

Bill

jim.snowdon Thu, 11/12/2009 - 05:20
User Badges:

Hi Bill

I'm sorry but I fear that I have mislead you! The external extension starts 7 (actually 702) not 9. Also I can add some more information..

The external extension will only register if I specify "Domain/Realm: [ip-spa9000]"

also if an INTERNAL extn calls the EXTERNAL one the internal caller can be heard on the external but not visa-versa.

if the EXTERNAL extn calls the INTERNAL it rings but when answered neither party can be heard.

Jim

William Childs Thu, 11/12/2009 - 07:29
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

The username is the item the 9000 cares about. When the phone registers with his userid, that is how the 9000 knows how to get to that user. The extension doesnt really matter at that point. If you login to the 9000, at the top right of the page there is a link to PBX Status. This tells you the devices registered to the 9000. The associated IP address is how it knows to send calls to X user.

Example:

user-id = 204

ip address 192.168.1.57 then it will say how long the registration has left

try changing the user id of the offsite phone.

Bill

lukasz_naumowicz Mon, 01/25/2010 - 04:46
User Badges:

Hi Bill,

We still can't get SPA9000 working in a scenario where phones are registering from Internet to a SPA9000 in LAN. There are issues with registering phones and RTP. Is this scenario, officialy supported by Cisco(you work in Cisco right?).If it's supported are there any guides that could explain how it should be configured?

I'm asking beacuse I'm not sure if we shuould convince customers to buy SPA9000 for such deployments.

Using VPN between phones and SPA9000 is not a solution in our case.

Thank you!

Lukasz

Alberto Montilla Mon, 01/25/2010 - 08:16
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Dear Lukasz;

This configuration is not supported not recommended by Cisco. VPN is always required.

Regards;
Alberto

lukasz_naumowicz Mon, 01/04/2010 - 06:25
User Badges:

Dear Jim,

I've encountered similar problems, did you manage to get voice working properly on remote extensions connected to SPA9000?

Best Regards,

Lukasz

jim.snowdon Mon, 01/04/2010 - 08:50
User Badges:

Dear Lukasz

Regreatably not the way I wanted! I have got it working by using a VPN between the remote PC (running the x-lite 3 softphone) and the LAN in which the SPA9000 resides. It is not the ideal solution for me but is workable.

Regards

Jim

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content