cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2000 - Dynamic VLAN assignment

ruben
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to assign VLANs on an SGE2000 using RADIUS?  So far I have been unable to get it to work.  The user authenticates (802.1x), but the switch seems to be ignoring the VLAN assignment.  Any thoughts?

3 Replies 3

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

Is this implementation part of a wireless deployment? The only reason I can think this would be necessary is for a WLC to assign vlan information on the fly. If users are attached directly to the LAN it would seem more likely you would just assign their vlan to that port. You could make every port a trunk port, so when they authenticate, the switchport will know how to talk with their vlan but that still would not work (since pcs don't understand vlan tags) and you would open your network to major security issues.

If it is part of a wireless deployment, check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008076317c.shtml

I know it does not deal specifically with the SGE model, but if this is your setup then the switching infrastructure is the least of your worries.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  This is not for a wireless setup, but I have clients that will be moving around the building and need assigned to the appropriate VLAN dynamically.  I have this working on my Catalyst 2950's just fine - Just can't seem to figure it out on this switch.

Ruben,

The dynamic vlan assignment is working with the SGE2000?

Thanks,