cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 x VOIP x Dual WAN x Load Balancing

MARCELOCALDAS
Level 1
Level 1

We bought seven units of RV042 to our corporate network. Now, we have six branch offices to connect VPN tunnels to use VoIP and Terminal Server (MS). At the head office, we have two connections of 1 Mbps each and we would like to use the load balance configuration. Question: WE REALLY MUST NEED TO SET THE ROUTER TO SMART BACKUP RATHER THAN LOAD BALANCING, BECAUSE IT MIGHT CAUSE VOIP PACKETS TO GET LOST?

Message was edited by: MARCELOCALDAS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

That is correct Marcelo. The idea is when the packets get load balanced, they will leave on separate WAN ip addresses and the receiving end will not know that they are part of an already established session. Most of the time, load balance is only good for file transfer and http traffic.

Bill

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

That is correct Marcelo. The idea is when the packets get load balanced, they will leave on separate WAN ip addresses and the receiving end will not know that they are part of an already established session. Most of the time, load balance is only good for file transfer and http traffic.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Another question: Using IP phones, I must need to set on separate VLAN? If true, which the better topology (connection between the router and the switch)?

Can't you bind a specific protocol to use a specific WAN port?

In fact, I don't know. Maybe is possible using the DMZ port to segregate the VoIP solution, creating a VLAN to this. Could you could help me to design the best topology to this?

With this router if your using the load balancing feature you can do protocol binding and send the ip addresses of the phones and select all traffic ( which will send all the sip and rtp packets) to a specific and that should fix your issue.

dthompson.th
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar issue

We access a particular website and also HTTPS traffic which doesnt work because the ip address keeps changing.

I have used other load balancers which do not cause these problems on these sites - any ideas with either configuration changes to make this work or another idea.

Thanks

Just send all your secure traffic out one wan, using protocol binding under the system management tab.  This will allow you to keep one ip address for your secure traffic.

David,

Considering that I have 2 WANs, I configured some priorities to get not lost VoIP packets (see attachment).

Are you agree?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: