Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Gig Switches with HP NIC Teaming - HELP PLZ

zubair.sayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

In one of our data centers I have a gig 3750 server switch stack. Server guy connected 1 HP server with 2 NIC's ( 1 connected to switch 1 and other switch 2). Is there some config I need to apply to ensure they are teamed together? Do I use port channel etc? Please assist. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Zaubair,

It depends upon what type of NIC teaming HP want to do on their servers. If they are using HP teaming software and configuring the interfaces as LACP bundeld then you need port-channel config at your end. Please talk to the server guy and understand from him about the config that he would be doing in the teaming software for connectivity. He might use NIC teaming using LACP at server end and then you need to configure the interfaces accordingly.

Hi Mr Singh and thanks for the prompt reply. The server guy says he is using HP NIC teaming software, (I think he configures 1 IP on one nic only and then bundles the 2 nics together to form 1 virtual interface with a seperate IP). This should not affect me though, all I need to do as per your reply is create a port-channel on the 2 interfaces where the server is connected right? Tx alot

No Zubair not really you need to create port-channel. I have seen in case of microsoft NLB, where both the interfaces are virtually teamed as a single interface and you either use unicast or multicast to connect to the virtual IP assigned to the virtual interface which is being created after NIC teaming. So unless the server guy configures both the NIC interfaces on the server for LACP you really dont need to configure port-channel at your end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card