cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW2008MP - Can't access console port

stevendt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have just purchased a used SRW2008MP that I can't configure.

I suspect that the default IP Address has been changed, so I'm trying to get in via the console port.

Unfortunately, I don't have the original console cable, so I'm not sure of the port pin-out.

Can someone please confirm the 9 pin D connector pinout for me please ?

I assume that a standard straight or null-modem cable is not suitable for this purpose ?

regards

Dave

10 Replies 10

chrcoope
Level 1
Level 1

Dave,

The DB9 to DB9 console cable that ships with these units is referred to as a rollover cable. You should be able to get a replacement from the good folks over at linksysworks.com (800.886.5369). Here are the pin outs for your reference:

1--9

2--8

3--7

4--6

5--5

6--4

7--3

8--2

9--1

Regards,

Christopher

Hi Christopher,

thanks a lot for the info.

I've jJust knocked a cable up using  a patch box and still no joy - looks like the switch may be faulty - it just refuses to talk to Hyperterm.

I'll keep at it, but I'm not hopeful,

regards

Dave

Dave,

Very nice! I have not seen a breakout box in years. I must admit, I'm a little jealous. Please be sure any adapters being used are straigh through with your VOM.

The next part of the equation is that you must set your hyperterm connection up for this device. I should have mentioned this earlier, but I certainly did not suspect you would have access to a "cable" that fast. Set your line speed for 38400 8,N,1 with no hardware flow control. Please be certain that you are using the correct COM port, and that it does in fact work.

Keep me posted,

Christopher

Christopher,

mmm, I think I'd much rather I handn't seen one too :-)

Thanks for following this up.

Still no joy, I did have those comms settings (I'd downloaded a copy of the manual). I have powered the switch off/on a number of times, hitting "ESC" at various points, but am still not getting any response from the switch,

regards

Dave

Dave,

The console port speed can be adjusted. Let me get one in my lab and check the available speeds. Chances are good that if someone did change the speed, they went for the maximum. Although, if there was a problem with the speed, you would see gibberish instead of nothing. Makes me wonder if there is a "wire shark" for com ports.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I had not thought of even trying that - as you say, most people would go for the fastest.

Off to play with the baid rate just in case . . . .

Regards

Dave

Dave,

Those speeds are 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600 & 115200. I would start with the 115200.

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for the info, I've tried all those, still no joy I'm afraid.

Not that I think it's going to matter, but protocol are you using ?

regards

Dave

Dave,

VT100

Chris

OK,

thanks Chris, that's what I'd tried. I guess that was the last throw of the dice !

Looks very much like I've got a broken switch !

Thanks very much anyway,

regards

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X