cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration file

simonpilch
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a c300 device setup and running this has been setup prior to me coming to the buisness we have just purchased a new c360 which we are having installed at a new co location my question is can i take the current config from the c300 and load it into the c360?

eventually we will be taking the old c300 offline and moving the rest of the equipment to the new co location so i initially will be using the old appliance to relay to the new appliance until the mx records have changed and the new appliance takes over.

The only differance is that the old appliance uses LDAP lookup this will be switched off on the new appliance until the exchange server is in place, on this subject what happens if LDAP lookup fails does it bounce the email or does it queue up until LDAP lookup has been successful?

13 Replies 13

steven_geerts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello SimonP,

That is two questions in one post. Let’s try to answer the both:

If you first create a backup XLM from you C360 before you start, you are @ no risk. You can always revert to the state the machine is in at the moment you take the snapshot. As a final resort: you can also reset the machine to the default config if it really fails.
There should not be to much differences between a C300 and C360. One thing you should expect is that you must redo the entire host specific configuration (like hostname, IP addresses and DNS settings) after importing the C300's config.
Turning off the LDAP functionality after the import should not be a problem.

(Second question :)
If I remember correct you can configure what behavior should be used when the LDAP for user acceptance is failing. If your routing relies on LDAP that might be another case.

Please keep us informed about your experiences.

Steven

simonpilch
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for your reply im due to do this move soon so i will post back with how much mess i am in :)
Just to let you know i have done the training on email security on the c series but the c360 is brand new out of the box so i have never set one up before this will be my first time all the appliances we support have been in place for some years now so i will let you know how i get on.

Andrew Wurster
Level 1
Level 1

just leave yourself plenty of time to get things done. and bookmark our number just in case:
http://www.ironport.com/support/contact_support.html

have one of your other appliances on-hand as well so you can stare-and-compare to figure out why a particular feature is not working.

good luck!

simonpilch
Level 1
Level 1

thank you very much for that awurster the move is penciled in for the 15th dec i will post back here how i get on.

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

...you must redo the entire host specific configuration (like hostname, IP addresses and DNS settings) after importing the C300's config.

Or you can just edit the XML file before importing, which is what I've done in the past (these days I just let Centralize Mangement take care of it all). Its pretty straightforward to identify the stuff that needs to be changed. But don't worry about the Ethernet MAC addresses. They're in the config file, but only for documentation purposes. You can't load a new MAC address via the config file.

fai0_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

beware the file encoding if you are have asian language dict / text in your IronPort

use notepad++ to edit the file is better. in my case, otherwise the file cannot be use to restore.

simonpilch
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for all your comments did the new install of the c360 yesterday and everything went fine just removed the smtp routes that were loaded from the config as the exchange server is at the other hosting centre so now i have this one relaying to the c300 in manchester and then to the exchange i have a temp domain setup using my new c360 as the mx entry and all mails are going through perfect.

question time now :) when the move finally goes ahead (27th Dec) and the exchange server is taken offline what will happen to the emails that hit ironport eventually i will be putting all my smtp routes in the c360 as they were on the c300 because the internal network range will be the same as it was in manchester but whilst the exchange server is down will my c360 store the emails or is there somethingi can set on there to store them for say 10 hours then deliver?

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

If your C360 is unable to deliver a message because the destination server is down, then it will retry for three days before giving up and bouncing the message. This is the default setting, which can be modified via bounceconfig.

simonpilch
Level 1
Level 1

ah thank you so much for that dlnash that is a big help

Not applicable

Has anyone tried to do the reverse of this and upload a config file froma c360 to a c300?

(test)

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Simon,

A config file is hardware agnostic, so it should work. The only thing I'd worry about is whether or not the C300 and the C360 have the same number of network interfaces. At the very worst, you'll end up with a config that doesn't work, which you can blow away and start over from scratch.

Thank you for the answer these are just little things that are playing on my mind now as we have the two devices and shortly will be

bying one for ourselves we already use a c300 and have a po for a c360 the work i have been doing is for a customer.

somwthing i would like to know the c360 is setup with an all other smtp route to go to c300 at the moment as they are in different locations and the c300 then delivers it to the front end load balanced exchange servers when i power the c300 down and the c360 then starts to queue the mail as defined in the bounce profile which is 10 x 60 secs wait an hour then try again and do this for 3 days how much physical data can the c360 store and is it user defined somewhere i have tried looking for it.

The size of the queue space is factory set and cannot be changed. Each model of appliance has a different amount of queue space. I don't know about a C360 in particular, but it should have several tens of gigabytes of queue space. That should be enough to last quite a while, unless you've got an incredible mail flow rate. The easiest way to see how much space your unit has is to log in to the CLI and issue the "status" command. The mail queue status is the last thing given.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: