cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NetFlow on Catalyst 4500-E Series

SimGuy7474
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone know if a Supervisor 6-E will support NetFlow on a Catalyst 4507R-E?

If not, what are my options for NetFlow on a 4507R-E?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/53SG/configuration/nfswitch.html

...Supervisor Engine 6-E and Catalyst 4900M chassis does not support Netflow.

...To use the NetFlow feature, you must have the Supervisor Engine V-10GE (the functionality is embedded in the supervisor engine), or the NetFlow Services Card (WS-F4531) and either a Supervisor Engine IV or a Supervisor Engine V.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/53SG/configuration/nfswitch.html

...Supervisor Engine 6-E and Catalyst 4900M chassis does not support Netflow.

...To use the NetFlow feature, you must have the Supervisor Engine V-10GE (the functionality is embedded in the supervisor engine), or the NetFlow Services Card (WS-F4531) and either a Supervisor Engine IV or a Supervisor Engine V.

That's what I was afraid of.

I'm guessing my only options to have both 10 Gbps link capabilities AND NetFlow are to move to the Catalyst 6500 series then.

you dont have to move to 10GB sup engine to support netflow. As suggest you can buy daughter card netflow expasion module WS-F4531 for your Supervisor Engine 6-E instead. this option is cheaper.

I was under the impression that the WS-F4531 only was able to be used with either the Sup-IV or else the Sup-V engines?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/prod_models_comparison.html

My ultimate goal would be to support 10 Gbps flows with a 4500-E series chassis while also having NetFlow. However, it's seeming that it's not possible and that they are mutually exclusive on the 4500-E series chassis.

sorry yes you are right! While i was writing my suggestion it skipped my mind you are not using Sup-IV/ Sup-V engines

industriashaceb
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning.

I have a switche Cisco Catayst 4507R+E and two Sup 7-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP), and i couldn´t configured the Net Flow, i was reading cisco forums, but in couldn´t find information important... somebody can help me?

I can´t activate the enable command #ip flow-cache, for activate in the interfaces.

thanks.

Hi,

Cisc SUP 7-E supports Flexible NetFlow export. Can you try configuring as below and check. Remember to use IP Address as per your network.

flow exporter NFAexporter

destination 192.168.1.1

output-features

transport udp 9996

flow record NFArecord

match ipv4 source address

match ipv4 destination address

match transport source-port

match transport destination-port

match interface input

match ipv4 protocol

match ipv4 tos

match ipv4 dscp

collect routing source as

collect routing destination as

collect routing next-hop address ipv4

collect transport tcp flags

collect counter bytes

collect counter packets

collect timestamp sys-uptime first

collect timestamp sys-uptime last

collect interface output

collect flow direction

collect ipv4 id

collect ipv4 source mask

collect ipv4 destination mask

flow monitor NFAmonitor

record NFArecord

exporter NFAexporter

cache timeout active 1

cache timeout inactive 15

Associate the monitor to the interfaces - Apply on all interfaces of the switch

interface GigabitEthernet 0/1

ip flow monitor NFAmonitor layer2-switched input   - Will capture both switched and bridged traffic

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

www.netflowanalyzer.com

NOTE: Please rate posts and close questions if your query has been answered

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: