Helpful
Replies

FTP speed on a half c1802

locus2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

I got curious problem on my c1802.

I updated IOS from 12.4.15t6 to 15.0.1M and then back to 12.4.24.t2 and meny times I change ADSL firmware too.

Noticed that my original ADSL FW 3.0.14 was in new IOS 15 builds useless because established connection was only 7Mb instead of 15Mb in down so I try newer firmware 4.0.3, 13, 15 and still same problem, then I downgrade IOS to 12.4.24T2 and still same, I find out that I must use 3.0.10 firmware and got full line speed 15Mb/766kb all newer had hald DL speeds. Now I running on 12.4.24T2 and 3.0.10 FW and have problem with downloading files using FTP. It starts about full speed 1.0-1.4MB/s and skips to 300KB and up down and finaly it after 5 sec leave about 600KB/s, measured from my ISP FTP server on Filezilla client. The downloading using HTTP not have so big fluctuation and run on 1MB - 1,1MB/s

ATM MTU was 1452 and BVI was 1412 I changed to 1492 / 1452

Looks like some buffer overflow.

Thanks for any help.

19 Replies 19

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unless you're using PPPoE, you should not change any MTU from default of 1500.

Ok thanks I will try setup 1500 but I thing that this wil not be main reason of problem

Anyway for the router, FTP or HTTP is just the same so that is not a router problem neither.

Not sure if ftp is moste brutal trafic protocol than http

There is no "brutal" qualifier in TCP-based network protocols. I assume you are not in this profession.

I know and hope that you will understand that.

We not discuss someones profesionality but my problem.

Both can confirms that ftp is more than http in traffic needs

No, it is not. Then, you can believe what you want.

So you thing it is ISP ?

It's a slow FTP server.

I tryed my ISP FTP and ftp of university in my city and still same.

It is common practice to limit the speed of a single session of FTP servers, do you know that ?

Again: FTP and HTTP are the same for the router.

You should instead fix the MTU that was changed for no reason.

Not by my ISP

MTU was 1452 but not know why so I changed to 1492 by cisco document about PppoE

Do you work for the ISP so you know for sure how their servers are configured ?

Do you have PPPoE ? If so, you should not have BVI for DSL.

Anyway, the point stays the same: If FTP is slower than HTTP, that is not router fault.

Not but have friend there

pppoe yes bvi bridge because have 1802w and wifi is bridged to lan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco