cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stratum on NTP

Rupesh Kashyap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have switch-A which is getting time from Switch-B. Switch-B is getting time from Global NTP. My requirement is, Sw-A should get time from B having Stratum- 8. Please help how it is possible.

5 Replies 5

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Rupesh,

The "ntp master 7" command on Switch-B will set its stratum number to 7, then Switch-A's stratum number will be 8.

Cheers:

Istvan

But, Sw-B is not master, as it is taking time from Other global NTP server. pls suggest as Sw-B is client ot gloabl NTP server.

according to cisco use the "ntp master (statum)" this command with extreme caution. It is very easy to override valid time sources using this command, especially if a low stratum number is configured. Configuring multiple machines in the same network with the ntp master command can cause instability in timekeeping if the machines do not agree on the time.

Rupesh, if switch A is getting ntp from switch B only then why changed the stratum?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would like to dissuade you from using the "NTP master" command. Can you post your NTP config? I am suspecting your question is not that complicated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card