Views
Helpful
Replies

MSTP compliant & vlan 1002 1003 1004 1005

roussillon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I am going to set up MSTP using cisco & hp.

But in my cisco 6500 switch I have those vlan 1003 1004 1004 1005 wath do i do with them? do I create them in all switch (cisco & Hp) and then I add them to MST instance?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Osvaldo,

these are legacy Vlans to be used for FDDI and token ring.

actually a modern IOS switch without FDDI or TR ports cannot use these vlans.

leave them on instance 0 and don't use them.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks

I thank you very much for your answer.

But i have read that for proper MSTP functioning all switch must have the sames vlan even if they do not use them all, even if somes are denied with switchport trunk allow command. Am I rigth?

Thanks again.

Hello Osvaldo,

that's correct make a coherent choice on all your devices associate the legacy vlans to the same MST instance.

This is needed to avoid unwanted partitioning of MST regions.

As I wrote in first post you cannot use the legacy vlans on Cisco devices.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Don't worry about the vlans. For MST, what count is the vlan to instance mapping. Basically, the lines in the "mst configuration" and that is used to define the region. If the region definition match, you can use several instance, if they don't, all your vlans will follow the topology of instance 0 (thus no load balancing possible).

MST does not care about whether a vlan is defined or not. MST does not run on a vlan, does not use vlan. It computes the topologies of MST instances independently of vlans. Then vlans are mapped to those topologies.

HTH,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card