cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration of Cisco 1841 with ADSL connection to Ethernet

mitchen
Level 2
Level 2

We have a remote site with a Cisco 1841 router and ADSL WIC.

We would like to migrate to a 10Mbps fixed rate circuit (ethernet presentation) instead of the ADSL line.

Since the 1841 comes with 2 FastEthernet circuits (and we currently only use one of these for the LAN connectivity) can we simply use the other FastEthernet port for our WAN connectivity instead?

So, to migrate from ADSL would it just be a case of:

• Configure available FastEthernet circuit with ISP provided IP address for new 10Mbps circuit (change speed and duplex on circuit to 10 full, etc too)

• Connect Ethernet cable from available router port to provider's NTE

• Change default route to point to new WAN interface (i.e. instead of using current Dialer interface for ADSL connection, use FastEthernet interface)

• Change PAT statement to use new WAN interface (i.e. instead of using current Dialer interface, use FastEthernet interface)

• Change Head office firewall VPN config to use new ISP provided public IP address for this connection

Is it as simple as that? (Sounds too easy!)

Ideally I would like to be able to carry out the migration to this new circuit without having to visit the remote site (I can get someone there to handle connecting the Ethernet cable from the router to the NTE but that's about it I think!)

Any advice/comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is basically correct, but are you the end user? If so it's better to use services from a professional consultant or cisco partner.

I'm the end user in the sense that its my company that has the remote office but I'm not actually based there so would rather set-it up remotely - its not in a pleasant part of the country to want to visit anyway! ;-)

Professional consultants/Cisco parner cost an arm and a leg, we'd rather do things on the cheap, especially for something which should be relatively straightforward like this! ;-)

Despite my questions, I am pretty confident around Cisco and know basically what I'm doing (I hope!) so I think I'll be able to cope - just useful to be able to use the forums to confirm I'm thinking along the right lines!

Thanks for the response.

You are welcome.

Personally I would supervise a config change need like your above for $100 or so, that is hardly "one arm and leg".

Conversely I've seen many end-user attempts to fail exactly because they tough they knew better. Not to say that is your case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card