Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a user to Unity SQL database

john.deery
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a data synchronization package at my job using Microsoft SSIS to combine data from different application. We are using Cisco call manager and Unity for our phone system, and I'd like to access the Unity database to grab the phone extension for each employee. We chose the Unity database because some employees have a direct extension, some have voicemail and some have boss groups, and Unity seems to be the one database that records this information in an easy-to-access manner.

What I'm wondering (and I haven't been able to get an official answer as of yet) is if I can add a user to the Unity database without harming anything. I don't want to use the regular user, as I only need to read two columns in one database and having more access than that is too much of a vulnerability.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure I entirely understand what you want to do here - to create a user with a mailbox in Unity they must be tied to an AD account with a mailbox - you can create internet subscribers but that's a different deal.

I don't know what you mean by "I don't want to use the regular user" in your description - you can create users and sycnch them to AD and/or import AD users for use - a few examples from older versions of Unity can be found here:

http://www.lindborglabsbeta.com/CodeSamples.html

it's not TAC or BU supported (and wont be) - but lots of sites do their own admin work using similar techniques.

I don't want to create a user in the Unity system, I'm asking if I can create an SQL user to read the Unity SQL database directly.

I had made a backup of the Unity database and restored it on a test system and was able to add a SQL user without a problem, but I'm not sure if it would do anything to the live system, as I've read/heard that Cisco heavily modifies their MSSQL installs and it may not act the same way that a regular install works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: