Helpful
Replies

Converting Cisco 1310 from LAP to Autonomous

ahmedbishry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

hope you are all doing well,

I have an LAP 1310 has joined with WLC 4402 and I need to downgrade it to Autonomous to use it as a bridge, I used a command (config ap tftp-downgrade tftp-server-ip-address filename access-point-name) from the console in my WLC where the LAP1310 joined and the LAP1310 load the Image from tftp successfully but after it reboot I notice it still searching for WLC to get new image, and join it again, how can I do a Downgrade from LAP to Autonomous in a right way?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Convert to Autonomous and point it to the earlier version of code that you want to have as Autonomous AP.

Here is the procedure:

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode using a wireless LAN controller:

Step 1 Log into the CLI on the controller to which the access point is associated.

Step 2 Enter this command:

config ap tftp-downgrade tftp-server-ip-address filename access-point-name

Aironet 1300 Series Bridges do not have a MODE button to reset the AP to factory defaults. So, if neither the GUI or CLI is available with sufficient privileges, complete these steps to delete the current configuration and return the entire bridge settings to the factory defaults using the CLI.

Open the CLI with a Telnet session or a connection to the bridge console port.

Reboot the bridge by removing and reapplying power.

Allow the bridge to boot until the command prompt appears and the bridge begins to inflate the image.

Press ESC when you see lines that are similar to these on the CLI:

Loading "flash:/c1310-k9kw-7mx.v122_15_ja.200040314-k9w7-mx.v122_15_ja.20040314"

...#############################################################################Note: In order to access the boot loader, you must press ESC twice. But this action depends on the terminal-emulation software that you use.

Messages that are similar to these appear:

Error loading "flash:/c1310-k9kw-7mx.v122_15_ja.200040314-k9w7-mx.v122_15_

ja.20040314"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.

Boot process terminated.

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT environment variable needs to

be set to a bootable image.

C1310 Boot Loader (C1310-BOOT-M), Version 12.2 [BLD-v122_15-ja_throttle.20040314 100]

bridge:At the bridge: prompt, issue the dir flash: command in order to view a directory of the Flash file system.

The directory is similar to this directory:

bridge: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 0 env_vars

5 drwx 384 C1310-k9w7-mx.v133_15_JA.20040314

3 -rwx 1128 config.txt

4 -rwx 5 private-config

3693568 bytes available (4047872 bytes used)

bridge:Delete or rename the files config.txt and env_vars, and reboot the bridge.

Note: Do not forget the / character before the filenames.

bridge: delete flash:config.txt

Are you sure you want to delete flash:/config.txt (y/n)?y

File "flash:/config.txt" deleted

bridge: delete flash:/env_vars

Are you sure you want to delete "flash:/env_vars" (y/n)?y

File "flash:/env_vars" deletedIssue the boot command in order to reboot the bridge at the bridge: prompt, or simply power cycle the bridge.

After the bridge reboots, reconfigure the bridge with the web browser interface, the Telnet interface, or Cisco IOS Software commands.

Note: The bridge is configured with the factory default values that include:

The IP address, which is set to receive an IP address with DHCP. If you do not have a DHCP server, you can access the bridge using the default IP address of 10.0.0.1 using HTTP/HTTPS or Telnet. Once you gain access to the bridge via Telnet or GUI, you can modify the IP address of the bridge.

Note: This default IP address of 10.0.0.1 becomes available only for a short period. So, make sure that you assign your own IP address to the bridge within that period of time.

The default username and password, "Cisco".

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml#ca_1310_ser

Finally, to delete the file you need to cd in the directory and delete it there.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Convert to Autonomous and point it to the earlier version of code that you want to have as Autonomous AP.

Here is the procedure:

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode using a wireless LAN controller:

Step 1 Log into the CLI on the controller to which the access point is associated.

Step 2 Enter this command:

config ap tftp-downgrade tftp-server-ip-address filename access-point-name

Aironet 1300 Series Bridges do not have a MODE button to reset the AP to factory defaults. So, if neither the GUI or CLI is available with sufficient privileges, complete these steps to delete the current configuration and return the entire bridge settings to the factory defaults using the CLI.

Open the CLI with a Telnet session or a connection to the bridge console port.

Reboot the bridge by removing and reapplying power.

Allow the bridge to boot until the command prompt appears and the bridge begins to inflate the image.

Press ESC when you see lines that are similar to these on the CLI:

Loading "flash:/c1310-k9kw-7mx.v122_15_ja.200040314-k9w7-mx.v122_15_ja.20040314"

...#############################################################################Note: In order to access the boot loader, you must press ESC twice. But this action depends on the terminal-emulation software that you use.

Messages that are similar to these appear:

Error loading "flash:/c1310-k9kw-7mx.v122_15_ja.200040314-k9w7-mx.v122_15_

ja.20040314"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.

Boot process terminated.

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT environment variable needs to

be set to a bootable image.

C1310 Boot Loader (C1310-BOOT-M), Version 12.2 [BLD-v122_15-ja_throttle.20040314 100]

bridge:At the bridge: prompt, issue the dir flash: command in order to view a directory of the Flash file system.

The directory is similar to this directory:

bridge: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 0 env_vars

5 drwx 384 C1310-k9w7-mx.v133_15_JA.20040314

3 -rwx 1128 config.txt

4 -rwx 5 private-config

3693568 bytes available (4047872 bytes used)

bridge:Delete or rename the files config.txt and env_vars, and reboot the bridge.

Note: Do not forget the / character before the filenames.

bridge: delete flash:config.txt

Are you sure you want to delete flash:/config.txt (y/n)?y

File "flash:/config.txt" deleted

bridge: delete flash:/env_vars

Are you sure you want to delete "flash:/env_vars" (y/n)?y

File "flash:/env_vars" deletedIssue the boot command in order to reboot the bridge at the bridge: prompt, or simply power cycle the bridge.

After the bridge reboots, reconfigure the bridge with the web browser interface, the Telnet interface, or Cisco IOS Software commands.

Note: The bridge is configured with the factory default values that include:

The IP address, which is set to receive an IP address with DHCP. If you do not have a DHCP server, you can access the bridge using the default IP address of 10.0.0.1 using HTTP/HTTPS or Telnet. Once you gain access to the bridge via Telnet or GUI, you can modify the IP address of the bridge.

Note: This default IP address of 10.0.0.1 becomes available only for a short period. So, make sure that you assign your own IP address to the bridge within that period of time.

The default username and password, "Cisco".

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml#ca_1310_ser

Finally, to delete the file you need to cd in the directory and delete it there.

Tanks for you great effort,

I did what you told me, but after reboot the AP still have the same action for seeking the WLC tring to join the WLC, I double check to be sure there is no (confgi.txt) or (env_vars) in the flash directory and after the AP1310 get an IP address from my DHCP it is still not accessible by http to make any configuration, what to do?

I need to tell you, these access points with LAP originally, so the default factory settings for this access point is LAP1310 and not AP1310.

Is that will change what we are trying to do?

I need to tell you, these access points with LAP originally, so the default factory settings for this access point is LAP1310 and not AP1310.

Is that will change what we are trying to do?

no it should not

Ok I will try the same steps with new LAP1310. Then I will send you a feedback for the result.

Hi,

I found it, it was an Image Issue because when I use the Release 12.4.21a-JA1(ED) it still seeking the WLC to join it even if I install the new Image and delete the tow files (config.txt and env_vars).

But when I go to older IOS and use this Release 12.3.4-JA2 it works perfect as a bridge and did not seek for WLC any more, thanks very much for your great support and quick response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: