Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA and AIP-SSM

ewong0088
Level 1
Level 1

Any help is appreciated.

Getting ready to upgrade a ASA 5520 from 7.2 code to 8.x, all because of the IPS module needs to be upgraded from 6.1 to 7.x.

Two questions:

(1) Should I expect a smooth upgrade (from 7.2 to 8.x) on the ASA box? Anyone runs into problem, gotcha kind of thing? ANy problem on the config file not being converted correctly?

(2) For the IPS part, do you or do you not to use the upgrade command within the IPS module? From the IPS's doc. it says to use the upgrade command. From ASA's doc. it says to use: hw-module command. If I understand this correctly, by using hw-module command to upgrade the IPS from within the ASA, it would wipe my IPS config file.Don't want to do that if I can help it.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

Use the upgrade command on the AIP-SSM. You will keep your sensor configuration.

I can't help you on the ASA upgrade questions.

ASA code upgrade is straight forward - I have upgraded from that version to 8.0, and 8.2 with no issues , however all networks are not the same. You may wan to read release notes open caveats for the code you are upgrading to . Read those notes it helps .. you may also do a simple search in the upper right corner furum window box on ASA 8.0 upgrade problems to read others posts on the subject..

Also remember to upgrade your ASDM image for that code .

Before all above you know it!! back up your 7.x config , you may keep 7.x code in disk0 and old asdm image in case you need to go back , just change boot statement for new code and point asdm to correct image, generaly upgrade should be fine..

ASA Release notes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_release_notes_list.html

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: