Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading my ASA's firmware.

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm upgrading my ASA 5520's firmware from 8.0.3 to 8.0.4.48 (not 8.0.5 yet) and I have upload this and the latest ASDM file 6.2.3. How do I tell the ASA to use the new firmware on next reload? I read that the ASA follows configuration order to know which image to boot, therefore you need to be sure the image you want to boot from is the first in order. What does that mean?

5 Replies 5

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

When you show the config, the boot commands will be listed like so..it will boot from the first one. Or simply remove the old image and it will boot from the new one, I usually leave at least 2 just in case.

boot system disk0:/asa804-k8.bin

boot system disk0:/asa803-k8.bin

Thanks, strange thing is I have just tried "sh run | inc boot" and it found nothing so I do a tftp of the config and search for "boot system" and it finds nothing in the config.

If you only have one image currently then you probably won't have a "boot system .." line in your config.

However as Adam says, if you are loading another image and want to keep the existing one in case you need to revert to that one then you will need to tell the ASA which image to boot first.

You do this with the boot system ... config. Enter a "boot system .." for each image and enter them in the order you want the ASA to try and boot them.

Jon

Thanks, this how it looks now:

sh run | inc boot

boot system disk0:/asa804-48-k8.bin

boot system disk0:/asa803-k8.bin

If the first failed would it try the other?

"If the first failed would it try the other?"

Yes, that is if it can't find the first image it will try the second one.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card