Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 Crashed and will not Boot

brian.russell31
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Last night my uC520 for whatever reason crashed. All LED indicators came on and the fan was on high speed.

I perfomed the normal power off and power on and cant get the device to boot.

I conencted the console cable and this is what I see:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(11r)XW, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.

UC500 series platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Readonly ROMMON initialized
boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

rommon 1 >

What should I do

Thanks

Brian

5 Replies 5

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brian,

rommon 1 >

So your system has gone into ROMMON mode, this typically happens when there is no IOS located on the Flash Card, or the Flash card has died.

Can you remove the Flash Card and plug it into a reader, if the card can still be read then it is alive and working, if this is the case, then you should download the latest IOS for the UC500, delete the old one on the card and load the new one on the flash card.

I dont know if your Running Config as gone down the toilet, but there is a good chance all that is still fine.

By the looks of the error i suspect the IOS file has become corrupt, but it is not uncommon to see the flash cards die, i allways have some Transcend ones on standby just incase this happens, or Sandisk as they are the only two i have had working in the UC500 reliably.

Good Luck and i hope you resolve the problem.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi,

Yup both flash cards were zapped...Internal 1Gb and 128Mb external.

I have managed to format the, both and put the IOS and default config file.

However I the CUE seems to be corrupted. How do I reset that? Everytime I try to go into it, it tells me kernal panic, and then reboots in 180 seconds

Pips_UC520W#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 status
Service Module is Cisco Integrated-Service-Engine0/0
Service Module supports session via TTY line 2
Service Module is waiting for registration message
Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled
Service Module status is not available

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

In regards to the problem you have with the CUE, i highly encourage you to get onto TAC, you might possibly be able to get away with doing a rebuild on it (I.E Upgrade it's version or install the same one) but there is also a possability that the CUE module is fried, i have had 3 kernal panic CUE-AIM modules this week alone, no recovery from them at all, 2 from bad shut downs, the other one no clue what went wrong there.

To try and guide/help you on these forums to do a rebuild/recovery of the CUE would be somewhat hard, where as a call to TAC can have it done within an hour.

Again i encourage you to call TAC and have them assist you in resolving the CUE module issue, also get them to look over the rest of the system jut to make sure there is no other faults from what ever took place to get the system to the state it currently is in.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David, Yeah Cisco TAC replaced the UC520, something to do with the processor bus etc. Anyway I have received the new device, I am trying to load the 7.1.3EA pack on it using CCA 2.1.1 Just want to check if this is advisable?

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

Good luck with it all, i am glad that at least the problem was found :)

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: