Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client compatible with FVS318 V3

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I would like to use a Cisco VPN client with a Netgear FVS318 V3 ,,,,,I know how to configure Netgear FVS318 V3 for IPsec,,,because I am using TheGreenbow client now with it.

But I do not know how to configure Cisco VPN (some client does not have TheGeenBow VPN utility)

I just want to find out how to do that ? specially with the option "Group Authentication" which it asks about username and password.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

hdashnau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Quick Breakdown -- There are of course variations, but for a basic config, there are 3 things minimum when making a connection entry on the VPN client:

1. Connection Entry -- This is just a name. It is only locally significant so you can identify the connection. Doesnt need to match anything on the headend

2. Host -- This is the public ip address of the headend (in your case the netgear ip)

3. Group Authentication -- This needs to match the headend configuration. On the headend there should be a group name defined for the VPN connections. The group contains the parameters for the VPN to connect such as which authentication servers to use, which policies, and which pre-shared-key. The pre-shared-key that you define in the group on the headend is what you use for the "password" for group authentication.

The rest of the stuff can usually be left at its defaults on the client side.

For more information also check our vpn client admin guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client500_501/administration/5vAc.html

-heather

>>3. Group Authentication -- This needs to match the headend configuration. On the headend there should be a group name defined for the VPN connections. The group contains the parameters for the VPN to connect such as which authentication servers to use, which policies, and which pre-shared-key. The pre-shared-key that you define in the group on the headend is what you use for the "password" for group authentication.

<<

Thanks heater,,,,I do not have within netgear router what is called "Group Authentication" (to bundle policies, pre-shared-key, etc )please see the link below to have an idea what options I have got with FVS318 V3

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3800516/Netgear-FVS318-GreenBow-IPsec-VPN-Configuration

for instance within Cisco VPN client under "Authentication Group" I have got username ,,,,,,,what would the cisco VPN's username match on the netgear router (compare to the link that I have posted) ?

under "Authentication Group" I have got a password ,,,,,,,what would the cisco VPN's password match on the netgear router (compare to the link that I have posted)?

hdashnau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just want to add one more thing for extra clarification...

Group authentication is not the same thing as user authentication (xauth). There is a group name and password (pre-shared-key)that should be configured on the headend and in addition to this there is a username and password. You configure the group name and password (pre-shared-key) when youre setting up the connection profile. You won't be prompted to enter the username and password until you actually initiate the connection.