Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA nat rules

Spinu Viorel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

An ASA with inside, outside, DMZ1 and DMZ2 interfaces.(only DMZ are important here)

- DMZ1 have 172.16.1.0/24 , security-level 40

- DMZ2 have 172.20.3.0/24 , security-level 75 and a web server at 172.20.3.8

If I want to let the users from DMZ1 to access the web server from DMZ2, do I need a NAT with real addresses 172.16.1.0/24 and translated addresses 172.20.3.0/24 ?

thank u!

thank u!

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can NAT with the real addresses. Here's an example-

static (dmz,dmz2) 172.20.3.0 172.20.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

Hope that helps.

is this absolutely necesary to NAT ?

If I don't configure NAT, I will not be able to access the web server ?

NAT is necessary because you're going from a lower security level interface to a higher one. If you don't configure NAT, you will have no connections and you will receive some logs that state "no translation group found".

The only case where you could do away with no nat is if you enable "no nat-conrtrol" and the ASA has routes to the ip addresses and the ACL on the outside interface is open.

PK

I am sorry to ask again. But it is not clear to me :)

I know that if you are going from a lower security level to a higher security level , u need an access-list that explicitly permit that traffic and not a NAT translation. So my question is: U need both an access-list and a NAT ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card