cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable Telnet on a switch

king06aaa
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to disable Telnet on a Cisco 3560G switch. I have seen all over the web that the way to it is by:

line vty 0 4

transport input ssh

However, this doesn't work for me. SSH is not a valid transport on my switch. The only allowable transports are "All", "None" or "telnet". If I try SSH it gives the invalid input error.

I'm assuming this is because SSH is defaulted on Catalyst switches, but how can I remove Telnet?

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well you can use "transport input none" but be aware that you then can't remotely access the switch.

The reason SSH is not an option is probably because you need an IOS version that supports SSH for your switch.

Jon

SSH is enabled on the switch. That's what I use all of the time. I'm afraid that if I use "none" I won't be able to access it with SSH then. Is that correct?

Steve

Oops, sorry i misunderstood your original post. Yes, definitely do not use "transport input none" as this will indeed lock you out of the switch.

Which IOS version are you running on the switch ?

Jon

12.2(25)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: