This discussion is locked

Feedback on the New NetPro?

Unanswered Question
Nov 19th, 2009
User Badges:

All,

Consider this an open discussion about the new site.  Dan and I, and the rest of the team will be following this thread.   Tell us about things you like or don't like, and things you'd like to see.  We look forward to your feedback!

Tim Albright

Manager, Cisco Support Community

Overall Rating: 4.7 (42 ratings)
Rob Huffman Thu, 11/19/2009 - 14:20
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Tim,

Congrats to you,Dan and the whole Netpro team on the new site! Great work my friend!

One small complaint, we used to be able to "click" on a persons name in a thread and find out their first and last names (If listed). So for example, I

could click on ;

p.bevilacqua

and find out that this was my friend Paolo Bevilacqua and address him accordingly. Now it does not show the names anymore so it's going to be impossible to personalize a message. It is much better if we can call someone by name rather than something like;

nerdherd3000

Cheers! Again, thanks for all your hard work here.

Rob

Daniel Bruhn Thu, 11/19/2009 - 15:21
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Hi Rob,

In the new environment a user chooses whether they want to show their username or full name next to content created.  It is a user setting in your profile.  Unfortunately, we can't expose both at the same time.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Jon Marshall Fri, 11/20/2009 - 04:58
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Dan

Is there no way you can work around this ?. It feels really odd answering questions without being able to use the person's name, kind of impersonal.

Daniel Bruhn Fri, 11/20/2009 - 05:27
User Badges:

Hi Jon,

Currently, the default is set to show the username so users have to update their profiles to show full name.  We can change the default to show full name instead of username but that would only effect new registrants.  The only other option would be for us to create a new field in the database so we can show both username and full name in your profile.  Obviously, that would be a customization and isn't something we can just turn on.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/19/2009 - 15:12
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Tim / Dan

Overall love the new site, much improved. Couple of things  -

1) Still not convinced how easy it will be for new users to work out where to post.

2) Is the final decision to keep all tabs as is ?

3) NetPro leaderboards - are these final versions because they don't match the ones on the "old" NetPro site ?

Jon

Daniel Bruhn Thu, 11/19/2009 - 15:45
User Badges:

jon.marshall wrote:

Tim / Dan

Overall love the new site, much improved. Couple of things  -

1) Still not convinced how easy it will be for new users to work out where to post.

2) Is the final decision to keep all tabs as is ?

3) NetPro leaderboards - are these final versions because they don't match the ones on the "old" NetPro site ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

1) Agreed, now that we have more than just discussions it's a bit trickier to navigate.  We will continue to monitor and make adjustments accordingly.

2) No, that decision hasn't been finalized yet.  We want to capture some more user feedback before making a final decision.

3) Yes, these are the final leaderboards.  We are aware some users have a few more points and some a few less but they should be very close.  If you are seeing any major discrepancies please let us know so we can investigate.

There is one difference I'd like to point out regarding the "monthly" leaderboard.  On the old NetPro it didn't matter when you created the content if it was rated the points would show up in the monthly leaderboard for that given month.  In the new version only content created and rated in the current month will show up in the monthly leaderboard.  This means if you responded to a post in August and someone rated it in November the points would only show up in the "overall" leaderboard.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/19/2009 - 15:52
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Dan

Just wondered why "Questions Answered" column in leaderboards is so different ?

Rob Huffman Fri, 11/20/2009 - 06:15
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Jon,

Sorry about the "1" Star rating my friend it was meant to be a 5. I hovered over the rating section for a moment and then clicked on the left -hand

Star before realising that this was a 1. I did rate your next post a five. On the old Idea Centre you clicked on each star to register your vote

so I thought this would be similar ....MY BAD!!

I have a feeling there will be alot of 1's floating around here for awhile.

Cheers!

Rob

Jon Marshall Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:12
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Hi Rob

Can't believe you rated me a 1 !!. Just to show no hard feelings i've rated your post a 1 as well

Seriously though i see what you mean about rating a post. I rated your post a 5 but it would have been quite easy to accidentally rate it something else.

Dan - is there anyway we can have a function whereby the person rating can change the rating given ? I suppose the main worry would be that some people might then try and badger people into changing the ratings but it's extremely easy to make a mistake with the new rating system.

Jon

Daniel Bruhn Fri, 11/20/2009 - 08:06
User Badges:

Hi Jon,

No, there isn't a setting we can change that lets users change their ratings.  We are working on a guide to spell out the new ratings process and hope to post it shortly.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/19/2009 - 16:03
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Dan

Just noticed - Lan Switching & Routing leaderboard. Rick Burts was in 2nd with about 4450 points before but now he is less than 4000 and in 3rd.

Timothy Albright Thu, 11/19/2009 - 16:17
User Badges:

Jon,

We are looking into this right now.  We did a lot of testing on this.  Will let you know as soon as we have some details to send back.

Cheers,

Tim

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/19/2009 - 16:20
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Tim

Think Rick's just missing a round 1000 points from his score.

No idea on the questions answered.

Timothy Albright Thu, 11/19/2009 - 16:38
User Badges:

jon.marshall wrote:

Tim

Think Rick's just missing a round 1000 points from his score.

No idea on the questions answered.

Jon,

Just want to let you know our current hypothesis: if you look at the topics in Networking Infrastructure (or the others for that matter) you'll see the "other" category.  We migrated archived threads into this new section.  So, the total points for Networking Infrastructure should match up closely, but, the category they reside in beneath Networking Infrastructure may have been altered.  Rick's total, overall, all time points are slightly different from before but nowhere near 1000 points.  We'll keep checking and I'll let you know.  We're "fairly" confident at this point, but Dan bet me dinner at a nice restaurant that this is the issue, so we'll keep you posted as the research goes on.

Cheers,

Tim

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/19/2009 - 16:56
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Tim

Reckon Dan's right about that

One final question tonight. I've just added a doc to Network Infrastructure, more just to see how it all works. Can you remove docs you yourself have published or are they there for all time

Timothy Albright Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:31
User Badges:

jon.marshall wrote:

Tim

Reckon Dan's right about that

One final question tonight. I've just added a doc to Network Infrastructure, more just to see how it all works. Can you remove docs you yourself have published or are they there for all time

Jon,

You should be able to delete as the author.  Dan deleted your document, but feel free to test it again.  We all tested this and the delete worked for us each time.  If you still have an issue with this, let us know and we'll show and tell.

Cheers,

Tim

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/19/2009 - 15:27
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Dan / Tim

Couple of other quick questions -

1) Under Network Infrastructure what is "Other network infrastructure subjects" meant to contain ??

2) The search function. If i enter "native vlan" i get all references back mainly from Lan Switching/Routing. Is there a way within search function to just say are there any "documents" on native vlan rather than questions asked within NetPro ?

Daniel Bruhn Thu, 11/19/2009 - 15:51
User Badges:

jon.marshall wrote:

Dan / Tim

Couple of other quick questions -

1) Under Network Infrastructure what is "Other network infrastructure subjects" meant to contain ??

2) The search function. If i enter "native vlan" i get all references back mainly from Lan Switching/Routing. Is there a way within search function to just say are there any "documents" on native vlan rather than questions asked within NetPro ?

Hi Jon,

1)  Consider this a General topic.  We have added them to all of the forums.

2)  Yes, once you pull up the search results there is a blue bar across the top of the screen.  In that bar you can filter by the type of content you'd like to display.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

David McDaniel Thu, 11/19/2009 - 16:57
User Badges:

Congratulations on the new site! When will the old NetPro be going away?

Timothy Albright Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:04
User Badges:

davmcdan wrote:

Congratulations on the new site! When will the old NetPro be going away?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note.  The previous NetPro now redirects to this site.  We are fully live now.

Cheers,

Tim Albright

frostama Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:08
User Badges:

Good to hear from you David. How are things?

Farid

Steven Ochmanski Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:10
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Nice Job on new NetPro in supportWiki,

Loving the "personalized-customizable" formatting options. (great stuff).

Also digging how you ported old NetPro Posts- while preserving the date stamps and user (I just found one of my old post in old NetPro from this summer).

One minor thing silly thing - you need to add the word "NetPro" in the spell checker...

Steve O

Daniel Bruhn Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:35
User Badges:

Hi Steve,

Good suggestion.  We've added NetPro to the spell checker.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Danilo Dy Thu, 11/19/2009 - 19:44
User Badges:

Easier on the eyes.

Well done!

Leo Laohoo Thu, 11/19/2009 - 20:26
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Looks nice!  I like it!

By the way ... how come I lost all of my "points"?

Marvin Rhoads Thu, 11/19/2009 - 20:42
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Firewalling, Network Management, VPN

Well, the new input box is certainly nicer. The older one was positively 20cen.

I am dismayed to see the "leaderboard" for sub-communities (i.e, Network Management withn Network Infrastructure) seems to be gone. I was looking forward to moving into #3 spots in a couple but now appear to need to contribute enough to meet the much higher bar of community-wide (i.e, all of Network Infrastructure) Say it ain't so!

Overall the design looks much fresher but it's gonna take some getting use to.

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/19/2009 - 22:02
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

The individual leaderboards are there but you won't see them in the overview tab. Go to the sub-forum and click on discussions tab and you will see the leaderboard for the individual forum.

Jon

Marvin Rhoads Fri, 11/20/2009 - 05:48
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

OK, I see the subfoeum leaderboards now. Thanks, Jon.

However - Dan et al. - I appear to have been taxed about 100 points on my primary watering hole - Network Management (under Network Infrastructure). Any help guys?

Daniel Bruhn Fri, 11/20/2009 - 08:14
User Badges:

Hi,

My guess is you're running into the same issue Tim responded to a bit earlier (text below).  It still hasn't been confirmed but still think this is the case.

Cheers,

Dan

Jon,

Just want to let you know our current hypothesis: if you look at the topics in Networking Infrastructure (or the others for that matter) you'll see the "other" category.  We migrated archived threads into this new section.  So, the total points for Networking Infrastructure should match up closely, but, the category they reside in beneath Networking Infrastructure may have been altered.  Rick's total, overall, all time points are slightly different from before but nowhere near 1000 points.  We'll keep checking and I'll let you know.  We're "fairly" confident at this point, but Dan bet me dinner at a nice restaurant that this is the issue, so we'll keep you posted as the research goes on.

Cheers,

Tim

Marvin Rhoads Wed, 11/25/2009 - 20:34
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

Dan and other Netpro staff,

I still have not re-accrued the point in Network Management forum that I had under the old Netpro board. I have my eye on the #3 spot and would appreciate getting full credit for what I've accomplished.

BTW, thanks for the Netpro gift back in September..

Daniel Bruhn Wed, 11/25/2009 - 20:53
User Badges:

Hi Marvin,

It is one of two scenarios causing the discrepancy.

1.  Did we ever merge an old user ID you had with your current one?  If so, let me know what your old user ID is and I can re-merge the accounts.

2.  There was a number of posts we archived in the old version of NetPro.  Archived posts were archived at the forum level which meant once we migrated them to the new platform we couldn't determine which topic they belonged to.  All the old archived posts are still on the site but are under the new "Other Subjects" topic.  This means if you had numerous posts under the Network Management topic that were archived in the old site they are now under the Network Infrastructure "Other Infrastructure Subjects" topic.  You would still have the points but they are now associated with that topic.  This wasn't an ideal solution but we had no choice.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Dan

Marvin Rhoads Fri, 11/27/2009 - 06:40
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

It looks like I'm a #2 scenario case. I've been posting off and on since 2001 and have been using the same CCO ID for all things cisco.com since 1995-ish.

I see that I have 171 points under "Other Network Infrastructure Subjects". The majority of those had been under Network Management on the old Netpro. If I understand your explanation, I guess I just need to keep posting and re-earn my de-allocated points under the new forum classification.

Still getting used to the new layout. It has potential to be much better than the old tool but requires some mental re-training on my part. I am enjoying the in-line graphics and ability to make hyperlinks instead of just having to paste in a URL. That latter function is especially useful when putting in a very long URL (e.g. reference to another related NetPro thread) - something that would often get truncated by the parser in the old forum tool.

Marvin Rhoads Sun, 12/06/2009 - 17:43
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

So Dan,

Is there no hope of ever having the "other..." threads correctly allocated to the forum in which they were originally posted?

I've not been able find how to see all my own posts - discussions I've started, yes; but discussions I've participate in, no. Am I missing something obvious? This was very easy in the old NetPro.

Daniel Bruhn Mon, 12/07/2009 - 13:25
User Badges:

Hi Marvin,

No, unfortunately we won't be able to re-categorize  the threads put in the "other" forums.  The archiving scheme we used in the old site didn't allow us to determine what topic the post originated.  That said, no posts are archived on the new site so we shouldn't run in to this issue going forward.

At the moment you can only see conversations you started in your profile.  In the next major release you'll also be able to see replies as well.  For now, the easiest way to find responses you've created is through the search.

Cheers,

Dan

Leo Laohoo Thu, 11/19/2009 - 21:44
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I don't know if someone read my previous comments but my points are back.

Daniel Bruhn Fri, 11/20/2009 - 04:20
User Badges:

Hi Leo,

All your points should be there.  If they magically disappear please let us know ASAP.  I'm thinking that's not a good thing

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Leo Laohoo Sat, 11/21/2009 - 15:24
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Gee whiz Dan.  Don't you guys/gals ever sleep there?  I posted my comments early in the evening (US time) and a few hours later someone fixed it.   

Daniel Bruhn Sat, 11/21/2009 - 17:54
User Badges:

Hi Leo,

No time to sleep.  Must fix all bugs

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

marikakis Sun, 11/22/2009 - 04:04
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Dan,

Just before I get some sleep I create bugs! I resolve them after I wake up.

Technology jobs are sometimes cruel to engineers/developers unproportionally to the actual effect problems/bugs have on users. NetPro is important, but it's not a nuclear reactor control system, and luckily we are all still alive (and posting), despite the fact our names do not show by default.
I think I see something that looks like a minor bug, but I am not going to report it until you get some decent sleep!

Good night,

Maria

James Hawkins Fri, 11/20/2009 - 05:42
User Badges:

Hi Dan,

I like the look of the new site but am struggling to find some of the features - e.g. it took me a few minutes to work out how to rate posts.

Is there are user guide available which covers all this?

Also I would be interested in uploading some documents but would like to know whether it is possible to edit or delete them after submission. It would be great to have a "sandpit" facility to test uploading content without it being published to the community.

thanks

James

Timothy Albright Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:38
User Badges:

jamesha wrote:

Hi Dan,

I like the look of the new site but am struggling to find some of the features - e.g. it took me a few minutes to work out how to rate posts.

Is there are user guide available which covers all this?

Also I would be interested in uploading some documents but would like to know whether it is possible to edit or delete them after submission. It would be great to have a "sandpit" facility to test uploading content without it being published to the community.

thanks

James

Hi James,

There are some user guides under the help section.  I don't think we have what you pointed out, so we'll be adding that.  The document creation is covered there and you'll see that you have options about how you create wiki docs, including a setting so that only you can see a doc until you're ready to expose it.  There's also really good wiki doc versioning.    Uploading docs also have some options. Please play with the wiki/doc uploading side of the community and let us know how it's going.  I am going to open a thread so we can capture more ideas for FAQ type explanations.

Cheers,

Tim

James Hawkins Fri, 11/20/2009 - 05:44
User Badges:

Hi Dan,

Have you thought of providing a NetPro widget for iGoogle or similar sites?

It would be cool to be able to see new posts in specified forums in this way.

Rob Huffman Fri, 11/20/2009 - 05:52
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hi Tim/Dan,

I noticied that no one addressed the good question from Jon regarding the Questions Answered section. It seems that everyone lost

some/many of these during the transition. It may seem like a small point, but these represent some very, very hard work and hours of time spent.

Here are some examples;

rob.huffman  Old Netpro = 1624 ...New Netpro = 1492
p.bevilacqua Old Netpro = 1205 ...New Netpro = 1118
jon.marshall Old Netpro = 1336 ...New Netpro = 1273
rburts          Old Netpro = 1035 ...New Netpro = 938
giuslar         Old Netpro = 838 ...New Netpro = 817
gkavan        Old Netpro = 114...New Netpro = 104

leolaohoo    Old Netpro = 124...New Netpro = 118

I'm guessing these got lost due to the change in sub-topics and the merging of others. But it would be nice if these could be credited back to people.

Also the Monthly Questions Answered section shows the "All Time" numbers.

Just a couple of small things I hope

Cheers!

Rob

PS: Look at all my nice colors...WOW!

Daniel Bruhn Fri, 11/20/2009 - 06:15
User Badges:

Hi Rob,

The "Questions Answered" is something IT is investigating.  This one we aren't sure about what went wrong.  One way or another we'll make everyone whole.

We are also working on a fix so the monthly leader board shows the correct number of "Questions Answered".

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

PS: Don't be surprised if the last couple of users on the leader boards start showing members who have only accrued a few points.  We are expecting this to occur and have a patch we hope to put in place early next week.

Rob Huffman Fri, 11/20/2009 - 06:24
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Dan,

Good stuff buddy! + 5 . I 'm sure that there will always be a few bugs when doing a conversion

of such a large scale. The other thing I have noticied is that I am getting an email for every response in this thread

even though I don't remember subscribing to receive them. Maybe I clicked on something I shouldn't have

Cheers! And thanks again!

Rob

Timothy Albright Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:00
User Badges:

rob.huffman wrote:

Hey Dan,

Good stuff buddy! + 5 . I 'm sure that there will always be a few bugs when doing a conversion

of such a large scale. The other thing I have noticied is that I am getting an email for every response in this thread

even though I don't remember subscribing to receive them. Maybe I clicked on something I shouldn't have

Rob

Hi Rob,

You (probably) didn't click on anything the wrong way, but you bring up a point we'll definitely want to communicate to all users.  Under Account > Preferences, each user has the option of setting default email rules:

email_notifications.jpg

The image displays the default (I think), which should explain what you saw.  You can, of course, set these to no and pick only the ones you want to follow individually.  This should migrate into a FAQ.

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy Albright Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:01
User Badges:

rob.huffman wrote:

Hey Dan,

Rob

Hi Rob,

You (probably) didn't click on anything the wrong way, but you bring up a point we'll definitely want to communicate to all users.  Under Account > Preferences, each user has the option of setting default email rules:

email_notifications.jpg

The image displays the default (I think), which should explain what you saw.  You can, of course, set these to no and pick only the ones you want to follow individually.  This should migrate into a FAQ.

Cheers,

Tim

Rob Huffman Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:17
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Tim,

I did find these settings just after I posted up the question and then replied to Dandy (below). I did set both email settings to No

but I am still reveiving the notifications. Maybe it takes a bit to kick in.  I'll let you know if I get your next response as well.

Cheers! Thanks for all your help

Rob

Timothy Albright Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:42
User Badges:

Rob,

I saw that you beat me to it.  Not sure about the delay.  It might be that you're already signed up for them based on the previous setting.  Can you try manually stopping the "send" from the actions section?

Tim

marikakis Fri, 11/20/2009 - 08:30
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hello,

The www.cisco.com website is easier for me to navigate, probably because the length of each page there is limited. Which reminds me of the 'outline' feature we used to have in old-style NetPro conversations, and was a lot of help in conversations that began to get really long. Is this possible now?

Also, the combination of the colours/letter sizes in pages chosen in www.cisco.com helps my eyes more. I think the new NetPro is more bright/white. Sorry I cannot describe this better right now. I am still trying to figure out what is causing some discomfort to my eyes. Sure it's not me not wanting to adapt to change. The www.cisco.com had changed in the past and I thought of the new one being way more elegant than the old CCO.

When I started using the new NetPro, it was really slow and I was getting a repeated message from Firefox about a script running. After I changed a setting in my account (don't remember exactly where) from 'threaded' to 'flat', this issue disappeared.

Some of my NetPro points have disappeared, but this doesn't concern me. As Dan said, some points more or less is expected. I don't see anyone compaining about more points up to now though ;-) My concern is the following: For some time now I am trying to find a way to see my old posts. I am not trying to see the conversations I have opened. I would like to see the list of my posts as it was available in my profile page in the old NetPro, but cannot figure out how. Up to now, the only way I can go to some old posts is via the e-mail subscription feature. Is this possible now?

Kind Regards,

Maria

Actions

This Discussion