Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Wan - best practice

locus2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

I got problem with my provider where ADSL line that was 16Mbit now have so bad parameters noise margin about 6db, 12Mbit - 9db and 8Mbit - 16db.

So use full is 8Mbit now and I need better connection because many Lan users and some VPN remote users. So 8Mbit / 512 not so good as before 16Mbit / 800.

Device is 1802 one ADSL and one FE0 wan port.

So my ideal is have two 8Mbit / 512 ADSL connections and now what, as I understand Loadbalancing per dest is good for that users are balanced to two connection on cost of destination, how it is when it is from same ISP?

The download speed will be maximal 8Mbit or will be used in same time both connection so can by twice?

Because here is Easy VPN server, that will be usable only on one connection? I thing because other source packet can drop tunnel when will be sended from other that original connection.

Is there other solution than load balancing?

Thank you

Urbanek

17 Replies 17

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It would be better if you get a true symmetric lines, like SHDSL. Remember, 2 mbps symmetr4i

ca are better thatn the prmosied 8/512, especially for VPN.

The other alternative is multiple ADSL lines, but avoid that if you can.

Yes I know, but SHDSL is here much more expensive than ADSL, If I take 2x8Mbit/512 for price X, 2Mbit SHDSL is about 3 x X price. SHDSL is more stable I know but please lets get ADSL like only option. Other way is that in DSlam farm is not SHDSL card so ISP not much want it add because my connection will be only one.

You want more, you pay more.

That's a simple truth.

I dont need more, I ask how this work and what can I expect. ADSL in this Dslam is very good because not much users there and agregation only 1:8 and not 1:40 or 1:50.

I read some discusion about CEF per packet and find there if will have both Wan from one ISP it is safe to not get packet order problem and CEF not so utilize CPU.

That is not correct, even with two links from same provider you will have to use NAT, and per destination load sharing.

You thing per dest mainly about problems with VPN aren't?

And what will be download speed per destionation? only 1x 8M or 2x8M.

When it will be one file from one destination i thing 1x8M and torrent or other multi thread DL will be 2x 8M?

Am I correct?

You must use default, per-destination.

But it seems discussing with you is pointless, go ahead, try both, let us known.

I would like to get some facts befor order next ADSL connection, hope that someone will answer my question how load balancing work

You have been answered already, and there is a clear document about:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080950834.shtml

As you can see, no mention of per-packet load balancing.

The matter ist that is seems like you want to hear something matching to your expectations, sorry to tell you it is not like that.

If you want a business-like connection, get SHDSL, there is no alternative.

I dont want hear what I like, I want clear answer how it will work in case of 2x8M ADSL.

As I sad before forget SHDSL.

We are not comapny that can buy SHDSL in speed that we need, so we look for cheaper solution.

It will work so that any single transfer is limited to a single ADSL speed, as it was clear from previous discussion and many other similar threads.

And, you will meet many other complications for automatic switchover, inperfect load-balancing, etc.

Forget SHDSL ? Sure.

But forget business-like performances and features at the same time.

Let us know when reality bends to your hopes, buddy.

Don't you know how is balanced traffic? Conection A to full and B then or some connection A and some B even A have not full trafic?

Please don't forget term SHDSL in you life but here yes

Facts are what I need and because I am not guru in this and asking on it no metter what i hope.

It will pseudo balance statistically, meaning at any time, a circuit can be significantly more loaded that the other.

This is not about being gurus,is about using the search box now on the top right corner.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: