Views
Helpful
Replies

Ironport with CSS load balancer

pfillips11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are planning to put two Ironport devices load balanced through Cisco CSS devices. The objective is to monitor the mail queue size on the ironport devices as a criteria for load balancer to forward the mails.

If the queu size on any of the Ironport device reaches value "x" then CSS should mark that Ironport as down and forward no more messages till the time queue size doesn't come below "x".

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are multiple solutions, but it always involve scripting.

First, you need to be able to provide the queue size to the external world either  through a special protocol, or http, or snmp, ...

Then you need to build a script on the CSS which will collect the queue size using the proper protocol and extract the queue size from the server response.

You can then use this script as a probe to mark if the server is available or not.

Gilles

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are multiple solutions, but it always involve scripting.

First, you need to be able to provide the queue size to the external world either  through a special protocol, or http, or snmp, ...

Then you need to build a script on the CSS which will collect the queue size using the proper protocol and extract the queue size from the server response.

You can then use this script as a probe to mark if the server is available or not.

Gilles

Thank you Gilles.

In microsoft exchange, we can change the response for "Helo" from 250 to 4xx when a queue size is beyond a certain value. Currently We use inbuilt SMTP script in CSS to achieve the objective from exchange end. I was wondering if there is a similar functionality in Ironport.

I do not know the Ironport, so I can't comment on this.

Also for CSS to collect the data pulled from SNMP, do you know of any known protocol/script that CSS can use to fetch the queue size from the monitoring tool?

Thank you!!

I do not know of any script ready to use.

You will need to build one yourself.

G.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: