Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN multicast routing

gianluca2891
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Catalyst 3560 configured with multiple VLANs. In some VLANs I have multicasr senders and in other VLANs I have multicast receivers, so I have to configure inter-VLAN multicast routing.

- Have I to configure PIM? Or is there any other way to do it?

- If I have to use PIM, is it sufficient to enable multicast routing, select the PIM mode on eache VLAN interface and enable IGMP?   

Thanks,

Gianluca

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gianluca2891 wrote:

Hello,

I have a Catalyst 3560 configured with multiple VLANs. In some VLANs I have multicasr senders and in other VLANs I have multicast receivers, so I have to configure inter-VLAN multicast routing.

- Have I to configure PIM? Or is there any other way to do it?

- If I have to use PIM, is it sufficient to enable multicast routing, select the PIM mode on eache VLAN interface and enable IGMP?   

Thanks,

Gianluca

Gianluca

Enabling PIM will automatically enable IGMP.

You should enable IGMP snooping on the switch as well for efficient L2 multicast delivery.

If it is all contained within the same switch you can simply use PIM dense mode. Just configure under each vlan interface.

Enable multicast routing on the switch.

Should all work fine after this.

Jon

Jon,

Thank you for your reply.

However, I have just tried to issue PIM configuration commands on my switch (yes, I have only one switch), but it doesn't seem to accept them.

show version command returns the following output:

Model: WS-C3560G-48TS

SW Version: 12.2(35)SE5

SW Image: C3560-IPBASE-M

I read somewhere IPBase doesn't support PIM, but only PIM Stub (whatever it is...). However, I have not been able even to issue ip pim passive command in vlan interface configuration mode.

Any hint?

Thanks,

Gianluca

Sorry, but the IPBASE image doesn't support multicast routing.  You can either upgrade your image or buy an inexpensive router like a 1800 or 2800 series.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card