replacing flash on standby sup 5 on 4507r

cfajardo1_2
Level 1
Level 1

the ff is the scenario

-4507r

-redundant sup 5

requirement

-replace flash on the standby sup without any downtime (production)

iam planning to do the ff steps

-remove the standby sup

-replace the flash

-insert the sup engine back

-copy tftp:ios_image slavebootflash (this part iam doubt because iam not sure whether slavebootflash is recognized in the newly inserted sup engine as there is no ios image currently initiated)

PLEASE CLARIFY ME ON THIS STEPS..

MANY THANKS

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

if you have a spare chassis you could put  the supervisor there and you could load the ios image on the new flash.

without an IOS image when the supervisor is reinserted it will stuck in rommon state.

just to say I agree on your doubts.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

which one will go rommon? the active sup or just the newly inserted standby sup?

Hello,

>> which one will go rommon? the active sup or just the newly inserted standby sup?

the standby one

Hope  to help

Giuseppe

hi,

is the solution you just mentioned found in any documentation from cisco? i would love to see it myself as well..thx

hi giussepe,

what about loading the image on the new flash using;

-another spare chassis

-another supervisor engine..

thx

If you are replacing the actual bootflash (haven't heard of anyone doing that themselves)  then your only option will be get into a spare chassis and follow the corrupted image recovery which will be the same because you currently  have no image  in bootflash .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml

sivaprakasam81
Level 1
Level 1

You can also try Console into the standby supervisor engine and do the necessary changes.

refer : https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2778;jsessionid=423442B611EB1F78AF6B66C724FF854B.node0

Hope it helps.

Siva

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card