Our Network Services team recently upgraded Cisco Unity from version 4 to version 7. For all intensive purposes, the upgrade went fairly well. There is one nagging issue that we have a workaround for, but I'm hoping some of you may have experienced a similar situation and were able to come up with a better solution.
Windows 2003 AD
Exchange 2003 SP2 - 2 mailbox servers, one front-end server
Cisco Unuity 7
Individual Unity subscribers are able to access their own voicemail, via Outlook Viewmail 7.02 and via the phones themselves without issue. However, several branch offices use a departmental unity account which is tied into a departmental mailbox. Users in these office can play the voicemail via Outlook just fine, but when they dial the extension to check the message for that departmental account, they hear the response "your message cannot be accessed at this time".
Our Network Services team has run the Unity permissions wizard several times to verify that everything is setup correctly. The various service accounts did not change from the previous version. Cisco support finally suggested that the offending mailboxes be deleted and a new mailbox be created. This seems to resolve the issue. However, we'd rather not have to follow through with this solution considering the number of mailboxes that are affected.
I've tried deleting the mailbox and simply re-associating with the original account. I've also tried moving the mailbox between storage groups and between mailbox servers. Using ADSIEdit, I've tracked down the permissions applied to the Information Stores and it all appears to be setup correctly.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? More importantly, were you able to identify an easier solution?
Hi Sean -
How are your users accessing the "shared" account from Outlook? Meaning do they have permissions to the mailbox and have it added to their Outlook view as another mailbox OR are they logging on to Outlook using the shared account's AD user and password? The problem definitely sounds like unitymsgstoresvc permissions problems; or as I have occasionally seen, the MAPI profile for the user gets hosed. The unitymsgstoresvc account uses MAPI to access a user's inbox. I would try logging onto a PC workstation with one of the shared accounts and start Outlook. Check to see that the account can access voice messages from Outlook as playback using the Phone interface, not PC speakers. Once that tests OK, have the account logoff the PC. Retest access from your users using the TUI. Another thing I would do alongside this is to run Port Status monitor and see what the port is saying when the shared account mailbox is accessed from the TUI. This may help with debug - and I would also think you are getting application event messages of some type when the error occurs.