cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect error message help needed

adgorn123
Level 1
Level 1

I am helping one of my consultants install Anyconnect on her Windows XP machine.  It seems to work the first time.  After shutting off and exiting, when she tries to connect again she gets a message like "Cisco Anyconnect client downloader has encountered a problem..."  I have attached a word document with images of the error screens.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix?

For some reason my small word document (.doc) is not allowed to be attached.

Message was edited by: Alan Gornik

8 Replies 8

mopaul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The error occurs due to the biolsp.dll driver. This is a known problem with this driver. The error is resolved by updating the driver

It occurs mostly with the third party applications. Now, without the dump files i can't tell which application could be causing this. Commony known with Wave EMBASSY Trust Suite and LSP: Layered Service Provider Modules and NOD32 AV

For Wave Embassy Trust Suite , try this:-

http://www.wave.com/products/ets.asp

A Patch update to version 1.2.1.38 of the dll resolves the issue. I saw this once documented on Wave Embassy Trust suite website but i guess that page is no longer available now.

Note: While you may not have embassy suites and it may be called something else, it is a product from Wave causing problems. If you are not using the product, you should uninstall it and reboot and try again. Ultimately, you may need to contact the vendor of the fingerprint reader software and find out why it uses a Winsock Layered Service Provider (biolsp).It might be that you can use the FP reader and disable/remove the LSP (biolsp) somehow.

You might be taling about the crash image below :-

Vpnva-crash.jpg

When you see the crash dialog screen, DO NOT close it or you'll lose the .dmp file !

Finding the .dmp file

It should be in your temp folder.  Here's how I find it quickly:

• Start up a windows explorer (Windows IE) and put %TEMP% in your address bar to navigate to your temp dir
  • View->Details to get the timestamps of all the files in your temp directory
  • Click on the DateModified column to sort by date
  • Look for a .dmp file that would be close to when you thought you crashed the app

Verify you can't copy the file..

• Try to copy/paste the .dmp file in Windows Explorer.

Now  you see what I mean. (Cannot copy A8E2728: It is being used by another person or program.)  If you wait for the crash
dialog to go away, the .dmp file will be removed from your machine.  So we have to take action now.

Open up the Backup utility

• Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup
  • If you get the "Welcome to the Backup or Restore Wizard", swap to "Advanced Mode"
  • Once you're in "Advanced Mode", click  on the "Backup" tab (Not the Wizard).

Backup the .dmp file (you'll have to back up the entire temp dir)

• Navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\{user id}\Local Settings\Temp folder on the left hand  tree.
  • Click on the checkbox for the temp folder in the left hand tree
  • In the right hand list, uncheck all the subfolders (e.g (C:\Documents and Settings\{User id}\Local Settings\Temp\tempdir\))
  • Don't worry if there is no checkmark next to the .dmp file itself - it seems to work on folders specifically.
  • Click the "Browse..." button at the bottom of the dialog to pick the .bkf file to back up to (e.g. c:\BackupDumpFile.bkf)
  • Click the "Start Backup" button
  • In the "Backup Job Information"   dialog, click "Start Backup"
  • Send in the file created.

An Example

Windows-Error-Message0

Windows-Error-Message1

Select the click here, which brings you to the following :-

Windows-Error-Signature

Select the click here

dmp file locations

This then gives you the location of the mini.dmp file and associated sysdata file.
If you cannot see the Local Settings Folder, open up the directory folder and select

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> and select “Show Hidden Files and Folders”

View-File-Types

Then simply go the C:\Documents and Settings\{userid}\Local Settings\Temp\WERx  directory
and save all of the files in this directory

File-Locations

Gather the mdmp file that gets created as  shown above and post it here ,if the pacth update does not resolve it .

Regards

M

Mohit Paul CCIE-Security 35496 P.S Please do rate this post if you find it helpful to make it easier for others seeking answers to similar queries

mopaul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The error occurs due to the biolsp.dll driver. This is a known problem with this driver. The error is resolved by updating the driver

It occurs mostly with the third party applications. Now, without the dump files i can't tell which application could be causing this. Commony known with Wave EMBASSY Trust Suite and LSP: Layered Service Provider Modules and NOD32 AV

For Wave Embassy Trust Suite , try this:-

http://www.wave.com/products/ets.asp

A Patch update to version 1.2.1.38 of the dll resolves the issue. I saw this once documented on Wave Embassy Trust suite website but i guess that page is no longer available now.

Note: While you may not have embassy suites and it may be called something else, it is a product from Wave causing problems. If you are not using the product, you should uninstall it and reboot and try again. Ultimately, you may need to contact the vendor of the fingerprint reader software and find out why it uses a Winsock Layered Service Provider (biolsp).It might be that you can use the FP reader and disable/remove the LSP (biolsp) somehow.

You might be taling about the crash image below :-

Vpnva-crash.jpg

When you see the crash dialog screen, DO NOT close it or you'll lose the .dmp file !

Finding the .dmp file

It should be in your temp folder.  Here's how I find it quickly:

• Start up a windows explorer (Windows IE) and put %TEMP% in your address bar to navigate to your temp dir
  • View->Details to get the timestamps of all the files in your temp directory
  • Click on the DateModified column to sort by date
  • Look for a .dmp file that would be close to when you thought you crashed the app

Verify you can't copy the file..

• Try to copy/paste the .dmp file in Windows Explorer.

Now  you see what I mean. (Cannot copy A8E2728: It is being used by another person or program.)  If you wait for the crash
dialog to go away, the .dmp file will be removed from your machine.  So we have to take action now.

Open up the Backup utility

• Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup
  • If you get the "Welcome to the Backup or Restore Wizard", swap to "Advanced Mode"
  • Once you're in "Advanced Mode", click  on the "Backup" tab (Not the Wizard).

Backup the .dmp file (you'll have to back up the entire temp dir)

• Navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\{user id}\Local Settings\Temp folder on the left hand  tree.
  • Click on the checkbox for the temp folder in the left hand tree
  • In the right hand list, uncheck all the subfolders (e.g (C:\Documents and Settings\{User id}\Local Settings\Temp\tempdir\))
  • Don't worry if there is no checkmark next to the .dmp file itself - it seems to work on folders specifically.
  • Click the "Browse..." button at the bottom of the dialog to pick the .bkf file to back up to (e.g. c:\BackupDumpFile.bkf)
  • Click the "Start Backup" button
  • In the "Backup Job Information"   dialog, click "Start Backup"
  • Send in the file created.

An Example

Windows-Error-Message0

Windows-Error-Message1

Select the click here, which brings you to the following :-

Windows-Error-Signature

Select the click here

dmp file locations

This then gives you the location of the mini.dmp file and associated sysdata file.
If you cannot see the Local Settings Folder, open up the directory folder and select

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> and select “Show Hidden Files and Folders”

View-File-Types

Then simply go the C:\Documents and Settings\{userid}\Local Settings\Temp\WERx  directory
and save all of the files in this directory

File-Locations

Gather the mdmp file that gets created as  shown above and post it here ,if the pacth update does not resolve it .

Regards

M

Mohit Paul CCIE-Security 35496 P.S Please do rate this post if you find it helpful to make it easier for others seeking answers to similar queries

mopaul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NOTE: CLICK ON THE BLUE IMAGE IN THE MID OF THE PAGE TO CONFIRM IF YOU ARE SEEING THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE. AND FOLLOW THE POST ACCORDINGLY.

adgorn123
Level 1
Level 1

I really appreciate your rapid response.

I had seen this when I was websearching for a solution.  So I had her search her windows folder for this driver but it wasn't there.  Could it be somewhere else?

adgorn123
Level 1
Level 1

The error is what appears in your blue screen.

I just searched her entire PC and biolsp is not there.

I dug into her %temp% and found these files from yesterday:

anyconnect-win-2.3.0254-web-deploy-k9-install-16440819112009.log
vpnagent.exe.hdmp
vpnagent.exe.mdmp

Would these be helpful to look at?

Thanks.

Post them here and i will look into it.. Also. do you have logs from DART tool.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect24/administration/guide/ac08managemonitortbs.html#wp1053080

Regards
M

adgorn123
Level 1
Level 1

I have these in a zip file. I am trying to upload.

I got it fixed.  The problem has to do with citrix file ctxlsp.dll not uninstalling.  When I deleted that, it broke the internet connection.  So I had to run a winsock fix to reset everything.  Then reinstall anyconnect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: