Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement UC520 after Crash

brian.russell31
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I have spent 4 hours with Cisco TAC yesterday and they could not resolve my many issues, software related issues.

Here is the summary, my original UC520 had a fatal CPU bus crash which corrupted the CUE module and both flash cards became corrupt...

Cisco TAC replaced my device with a new UC520.... I have been trying for 1 week now to reload this device back to the config and level I had before but ran into so much issues which I never ever experienced before on my other unit.

I was trying to use cca 2.1.1 with 7.1.3 EA pack which I have tried several time but the CCA always seems to find some issue or other... However I manged once to get it to work dont know how but it did.

once software was upgraded I ran the telephone wizard and completed as I should... Only 1 change was the data vlan which I changed to 10.54.8.* from the 192.168.10.1... everything else was left default i.e next, next, next finish....

Thus U get prompted it is about to write the config.....It takes some timw only for it to have only hlf programmed or written the config file... The IP phone aint programmed voicemail isnt active etc... On logging into the CUE via the web site i get prompted it has not been intialized and that it needs to be setup... on my old box never needed to do this... So this was strange... However Cisco TAC got that part working only for another 4 issues to develop such as internal callls from ext to ext work, howver calls external dont even reach the voicemail... Cisco spent 2 hours last night debugging and debugging for no result....

I use the Skystone software which acts as the interface between the UC520 and Skype.... We performed several tests last night imediate call forwards to 299 and then different timouts for 100% no voicemail activation and what seems to happen is that when the cisco vmail should kick skype is acting if the call is rejected and the skype vmail kicks in all the time instead of unity....

Even when I got that part working on my old system dotn know how but it worked a treat, when a user left a vmail the dtmf was not being heard by the unity so if after you left the message and wanted to mark it urgent it would not here the tones and nothing happens.... Thus my concern is when I set up the IVR using the same infrasructure I fear that it will not work as the tones are not being heard.... SkyStone uses the SIP thing......and thats how the uc520 acts with skype using SIP....

As of now I have logged into the CUE and factory reset it, I have erased all nvram, flash cards all is wiped....

What version of the UC520 software packs should I use, which one is the most trusted and stable that will give me the same features as the latest early adopter packs....

Have I missed a major step to cuase such issues, or changing the data vlan to a new IP is this causing a major issue cause as I look at the running config after CCA has completed it in the acl lists there are a number of refences to the the old defualt data vlan IP and I am now wondering if this is causing me all my sore heads.....and thats not after a few a glases of wine after being on the phone with cisco for 4 hours....

Can anyone shed light on my tech downfall?

Many Thanks in advance....

6 Replies 6

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

I have loaded the 7.1.3 early adopter pack on a UC520 unit out in the field, and I have not had problems with that release once I had the UC520 unit configured correctly. The customer that was using this release was using SIP for external calls, and was not using FXO, FXS, BRI, or PRI T-1s. The codecs being used with this configuration are G.729 (without Annex B), G.711 mu-law, and G.711 A-law. Configuring G.729 with Annex B can cause problems if your SIP provider does not support it.

I have never had any of our UC520 units nor their CUE modules fail in the field. The CUE versions that we have used out in the field, and that have been included in UC500 software packs, 3.0.3, 3.2.1, and 7.0.3, have been stable. We had customers early on that reported that the voicemail would get cut off after approximately 25-30 seconds. I know that this problem exists in CUE 3.0.3 and 3.2.1, but I am not sure whether the problem is there in CUE 7. The fix to that problem is to add the voice-class source interface Loopback0 to the dial peers for VM and auto attendant if you are using a UC520 or UC540.

Example CUE dial-peer configuration for UC520 or UC540:

dial-peer voice 2000 voip
description ** CUE Voicemail pilot number **
destination-pattern 299
b2bua
voice-class source interface Loopback0
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:10.1.10.1
dtmf-relay sip-notify
codec g711ulaw
no vad

Here are the important settings that need to be set for CUE dial peers:

• b2bua
  • voice-class source interface Loopback0 (on UC520 and UC540 units)
  • session protocol sipv2
  • session target ipv4:10.1.10.1 (set to the IP address of the CUE module)
  • dtmf-relay sip-notify
  • codec g711ulaw (This is very important because G.711 mu-law is the only codec supported by CUE)
  • no vad (This should be in every dial peer used for PSTN connectivity, and must be present in CUE dial peers)

Here is the part of the configuration where the codecs used for calls to and from SIP providers is configured, in order from the most preferred codec to the least preferred codec):

voice class codec 1
codec preference 1 g729r8
codec preference 2 g711ulaw
codec preference 3 g711alaw

Here, I have the G.729 (without Annex B), G.711 mu-law, and G.711 a-law codecs listed. You should not have the G.729 with Annex B codec in this list if your SIP provider does not support it as it can cause calls to fail. If your SIP provider supports iLBC or G.722, you can add them to the codecs for negotiation.

You should have at least one of the following codecs in the codec preference list:

• g729r8 (G.729 without Annex B)
  • g711ulaw (G.711 mu-law)
  • g711alaw (G.711 a-law)

You can have these codecs in the codec preference list:

• g722-64 (G.722)
  • ilbc (iLBC)
  • g729br8 (G.729 with Annex B, USE ONLY IF SUPPORTED BY YOUR SIP PROVIDER AS CALLS CAN OTHERWISE FAIL)

Here is the part of the configuration that is used for transcoding. Transcoding is very important for several reasons:

• Some of the phones are incapable of using iLBC or G.722, and the UC520 must transcode iLBC or G.722 calls to G.711 or G.729 for phones that are incapable of using iLBC or G.722.
  • Cisco Unity Express can only use the G.711 mu-law codec, and cannot use the G.729, iLBC, G.722, or G.711 A-law codecs.

Here is the part of the configuration that enables transcoding:

!

voice-card 0
dspfarm
dsp services dspfarm
!

sccp local Loopback0
sccp ccm 10.2.24.1 identifier 1 version 4.1
sccp
!
sccp ccm group 1
associate ccm 1 priority 1
associate profile 3 register mtp123412341234
!
dspfarm profile 3 transcode universal
codec g711ulaw
codec g711alaw
codec g729ar8
codec g729abr8

codec g729r8
codec g729br8

codec ilbc

codec g722-64
maximum sessions 2
associate application SCCP

!

telephony-service
sdspfarm units 3
sdspfarm transcode sessions 8
sdspfarm unregister force
sdspfarm tag 1 confprof1
sdspfarm tag 3 mtp123412341234

In the example above, the transcoding DSP farm profile is marked as an universal transcoding profile. Universal transcoding enables you to transcode between any of the codecs in the list, and is not limited to G.729 to G.711 transcoding. You must specify universal in the dspfarm profile line if you have iLBC or G.722 in the codec list. The transcoding codec list needs to include g711ulaw, g711alaw, g729ar8, and g729abr8. If you enabled G.722, g722-64 must be included as a codec in the transcoding profile. If you enabled iLBC, ilbc must be included as a codec in the transcoding profile.

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

How did you upgrade your UC520 to 7.1.3? I was able to successfully load the 7.1.3 release on a UC520 unit. Did you use CCA to perform the upgrade?

I have deployed a refurbished UC520 a few weeks ago, and when I received the UC520 unit, I actually upgraded it from 4.2.7 to the 7.1.3 release. I also did get CUE upgraded successfully to 7.0.3. Here is what I did to upgrade the UC520 to 7.1.3:

• I extracted the UC520-7.1.3-ea.zip file to a location that is accessible to the FTP server on my laptop.
  • I made a copy of the CME-Phone-Loads-7.1.3.tar file. I gave my copy of the CME-Phone-Loads-7.1.3.tar file 7900-phone-loads.tar. I did this because the phone loads were eating up flash memory on the UC520 and I wanted to be sure that the upgrade to 7.1.3 does not fail.
  • I extracted the SCUE-UC520-7.0.3.zip file to a location that is accessible to the FTP server on my laptop. This file has to be extracted to upgrade CUE to version 7.0.3.
  • I opened up the 7900-phone-loads.tar in 7-Zip, and removed the unnecessary phone loads. The phone loads for the 521 and 524 phones should not be deleted. You need to include the loads for the phones that you are actually using in the 7900-phone-loads.tar file. This file does not need to be extracted as the archive tar /xtract command is used to extract this file into the UC520 flash memory.
  • I plugged my laptop into the UC520 unit, and I launched the FTP server on my laptop. The FTP server must be listening on port 21 for IOS, CME, and CUE upgrading.
  • I used the erase flash command to erase the UC520 flash memory.
  • I copied over the uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.YB4 file to the UC520 flash memory. This file is very important because this is the IOS image file.
  • Because my model is a 8-user UC520 with wireless and FXO ports, I copied over the UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.1.3.cfg file over to the UC520 flash memory. You need to copy over the appropriate version of the factory default configuration file, and there is a version for each model of the UC520. It is very important that you copy over the correct one for your UC520 model.
  • I extracted the CME-Support-Files-7.1.3.tar file using the archive tar /xtract command. It is very important that you use archive tar /xtract instead of copy because archive tar /xtract performs a download of the TAR file from the FTP server, but extracts the contents of the TAR file into the flash memory with the correct directory structure.
  • I extracted the 7900-phone-loads.tar file using the archive tar /xtract command. It is very important that you use archive tar /xtract instead of copy because archive tar /xtract performs a download of the TAR file from the FTP server, but extracts the contents of the TAR file into the flash memory with the correct directory structure. I used the 7900-phone-loads.tar file so that I do not run out of flash memory. It is very important that the phone load for the CP-521 phones, CP-524 phones, and the phones that you are using are copied over to flash memory. Except for the CP-521 and CP-524 phone loads, you do not need to have phone loads for the phones that you are not using in your UC520 flash memory.
  • I performed a clean install of CUE. I have to execute the service-m i0/0 se command, and then enter the username and password if prompted, and then pressing Enter again. You should get a UC520-CUE>, UC520-CUE# prompt, or a se-10-1-10-1# prompt, depending on the version of CUE installed on your UC520 unit. Type enable so that you have the privileges needed to perform a clean install of CUE.
  • Perform a clean install of CUE by executing the software install clean url command. You need to use the cue-main.ise.7.0.3.pkg file to install CUE 7.0 onto the UC520 unit.
  • Be sure to select English (United States) as the Voicemail language when you perform the clean installation of CUE.
  • After the CUE clean install is completed and the SYSTEM ONLINE message appears, you need to perform a clean install of the cue-vm-license_50mbx_cme_ise.7.0.3.pkg file. This installs the CUE license file, but does not perform a clean re-install of CUE.
  • You need to perform a reload of CUE by executing the reload command.
  • After CUE has been rebooted, you should wait for the SYSTEM ONLINE message to appear. Then exit out of CUE and back into IOS by executing the exit command.
  • You need to reset the UC520 to the factory default by copying over the factory default configuration file found in the UC520 flash memory over to the startup configuration. For a 8-user UC520 with wireless and FXO ports, you would execute copy flash:UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.1.3.cfg startup-config to copy the factory default configuration over to the UC520.
  • You need to restart the UC520 by executing the reload command.
  • After you have rebooted the UC520, you can configure the UC520 using CCA or CLI.

Format of FTP URL for the IOS copy and IOS archive tar /xtract commands:

ftp://@:/

with , , , and substituted with the correct values

Format of FTP URL for the CUE software install clean command:

ftp:/// username password

with , , , and substituted with the correct values

Format of the IOS copy command:

copy

with and substituted with the correct values

Format of the IOS archive tar /xtract command:

archive tar /xtract

with and substituted with the correct values

Format of the CUE software install clean command:

software install clean url username password

with , , and substituted with the correct values

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

I have had customers report problems with the 7.0.x and 7.1.x software packs. Most of the problems resulted from incorrect configurations on UC520 units, and I was able to get these problems fixed by making the appropriate adjustments to the UC520 configuration.

I actually have not had problems with 7.1.3 after I got the UC520 correctly configured. I know that the 8.0.0 software pack for the UC520 has been released, but I do not know how stable the 8.0.0 release is.

Could you please send me the following:

• The output of the show version command on the UC520 unit
  • The output of the show run command on the UC520 unit
  • The output of the show flash command on the UC520 unit
  • The output of the show run command on the CUE module
  • The output of the show software versions detail command on the UC520 CUE module

These details will help me see that everything is correctly installed and check for any problems in the UC520 configuration.

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

Did you upgrade to CCA 2.2 yet? CCA 2.2 has already been released.

Hi,

After spending my whole weekend, I entually reinstalled Java and CCA 2.2 on my laptop runnign windows 7. I wiped the UC520 copied the factory config file and the IOS file that was in the UC8.0.0.zip file and with patience I managed to get everything back up and running....

Happy Days... However I am trying to work out what files I require to change the region and voicemail to GB.

Thanks

Brian

I replied on your other thread with the following:

Go to www.cisco.com/go/uc500swpk and download the files cue-vm-en_GB-langpack.ise.7.0.3.prt1 and CME-locale-en_UK-English-7.0.1.1.tar.  There are instructions on how to apply the updates at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9692.  This doc is a little old since it is based on CCA 1.9, but it is still fundamentally correct.  The main difference is that the Region tab used for changing the phone locale has relocated to Configure > Telephony > Region.

Cheers,

Dave.