WVC210 SMTP not working after upgrade

Unanswered Question
Nov 21st, 2009

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my WVC210 to lastest firmware

Firmware Version:V1.1.0

After performing this my motion SMTP email doesnt work anymore and when I click on send test email it just tells my failed and nothing appears in log...

What has changed to stop this working?

Thanks

Brian

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Carr Thu, 11/26/2009 - 08:43

After you did the firmware upgrade did you do a factory reset of the camera and reload your configurations?  If not, do that and see if it works after that.  It is always best practice to do a factory reset of a device after giving it a firmware upgrade.

brian.russell31... Mon, 11/30/2009 - 12:26

Hi David,

Tried what you recommended... I re-applied the new firmware and performed a factory reset to still no avail.

I think there is an issue with the new firmware.... as it worked in version 1.0.0 using my gmail account.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Roving_RIchard Sat, 05/07/2011 - 05:19

Just found this on the MSN site, per this MSN is supporting smtp port 25:

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=a485233f-206d-491e-941b-118e45a7cf1b

I have not tested this as the Camera I need to work on is 75 miles away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Send and Receive Windows Live Hotmail emails from a Mail Client

7531 of 14889 people found this solution helpful.

This solution article describes how to set up your Windows Live  Hotmail POP3 account in an email client to send and receive emails.

Here’s the information to configure your account on your preferred e-mail client:

- POP3 Server: pop3.live.com (port 995
  - SMTP Server: smtp.live.com (port 25)  

Note: If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the client in use

Please make sure to check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most e-mail clients, this is not checked by default).
  - Username: your full e-mail address
  - Password: your Windows Live ID password

Roving_RIchard Thu, 05/19/2011 - 18:41

This article linked here: http://www.bowerwebsolutions.com/support/sending_email_optonline.htm contains an extensive list of providers and the smtp address to use with each provider. My provider is SBCGLOBAL but the working server address is: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and when I switched to this address and port 587 I have regained the ability to use the email function with out downgrading the bios on the camera.

Eric Moyers Tue, 06/24/2014 - 11:25

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD ABOVE THIS NOTE IS 3 YEARS OLD.

With that being said, this is the update to this thread.

The beta that was available 1.1.1.16, which allowed a work around for customer to use the cameras with GMAIL and other mail servers that require SSL authentication is no longer useful to the customer.

In Jan 2013 Gmail made a change to the required

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=180707

From Google Support Forums:

Messages with DKIM signatures use a key to sign messages. Messages signed with short keys can be easily spoofed (see http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/268267), so a message signed with a short key is no longer an indication that the message is properly authenticated. To best protect our users, Gmail will begin treating emails signed with less than 1024-bit keys as unsigned, starting in January 2013. We highly recommend that all senders using short keys switch to RSA keys that are at least 1024-bits long.

From my understanding, the WVC210 falls in this category, uses less than a 1024 bit key. That is why the beta firmware is no longer available. It will not resolve the issue anymore.

We can no longer support this issue with firmware updates since the devices are EOL/EOS.

Eric Moyers

Wireless and Surveillance Subject Matter Expert

brian.russell31... Tue, 12/01/2009 - 14:59

Hi David,

I reverted back to firmware version 1.0.0 and everything is working, montion sensing and email alert.

However as soon as I upgrade to the latest firmware the SMTP part doesnt seem to work and I get a message when I try to send a test email.

Looks like the new firmware has a feature.

Thanks

Brian

Steven DiStefano Tue, 12/01/2009 - 15:57

Hi Men,

The WVC210 is not a SSL camera and therefore won't work with most mail providers like Yahoo and Gmail that require SSL.

I think this is what your facing, no?

The past firmware might have in fact had a 'back door' to somehow support this but it was found to be very unreliable so rather than have it half baked, we removed that back door.

Steve

brian.russell31... Wed, 12/02/2009 - 14:14

Hi Steve,

Would Cisco envisage incorporating this back into future release but the proper way rather than a "back door".

I imagine there are alot of people out there with similar secured email accounts that would maybe like to use this feature...

I can only use firmware version 1.0.0 until maybe Cisco could easily add this back in....

Thanks

Brian

Steven DiStefano Thu, 12/03/2009 - 01:25

I think this is reasonable request, but I dont know any of the details of how this could be done, so i'll pass this along to the BU.

Steve

Steven DiStefano Thu, 12/03/2009 - 10:47

This is now on the feature request list.   The BU likes the idea too.  Cant commit here, of course.  Stay tuned.

brian.russell31... Thu, 12/17/2009 - 12:31

Hi,

I downloaded the factory firmware from the Cisco Web site v1.0.0 and then just used the firmware upgrade option and it manged to downgrade the firmware.

Thanks

Brian

DDSAPC2010 Thu, 12/17/2009 - 15:24

Do you still have the bin file? Can you send it to me? I don't think it is on their website anymore and they won't give it to me for some reason.

h2oskijumper Fri, 05/16/2014 - 08:13

Any chance of re posting this original firmware either here or somewhere else? In in dire need of it, its the only firmware & can make work with gmail.

Thanks

streaves Thu, 12/17/2009 - 15:43

We can't post firmware files on the community (legal rules and restrictions) but I did post the URL for the v1.0.0 firmware above. Thanks, --Stephanie

edwardccohen Sat, 01/09/2010 - 23:02

thanks for clarifying that 1.1 won't work with email providers that require ssl.  in the mean time, if i want to use motion detection, is there any other way to get the benefits of motion detection without email alerts (e.g., can the system generate a log?).   if not, is anyone aware of any email providers that don't require an ssl connection?  thanks!

mpyhala Mon, 01/11/2010 - 00:13

My ISP provides me with up to ten email addresses that do not require SSL. If your ISP doesn't, maybe you have a friend that has one that does?

mpyhala Thu, 01/14/2010 - 03:09

Charter Communications. I have tested and successfully sent emails from the WVC210 to a gmail account using a Charter email address and the motion sensing feature.

Steven DiStefano Tue, 01/12/2010 - 08:28

Yes, you can have the camera FTP the motion detected video to a NSS2xxx or NSS3xxx (NAS).

Let me know if you need more info on this capability.

Steve D

edwardccohen Tue, 01/12/2010 - 17:59

Steve,

I don't have a NAS drive but I assume I could just FTP to a networked hard drive on a PC?  I don't have an SMTP server or FTP server - I am just running this on a small network with some PCs and laptops.

Thanks!

brian.russell31... Mon, 05/03/2010 - 10:04

Hi,

Just wondering since I am using my UC520 with this camera is there a possibilty to port forward or some over clever method to use my gmail account with the WVC210 smtp config?

Thanks

Brian

pajoe1971 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 12:05

Keep this thread alive! Here is hoping SMTP/SSL comes our way soon.

Regards,

Joe

mpyhala Mon, 01/18/2010 - 18:38

pajoe1971 wrote:

Keep this thread alive! Here is hoping SMTP/SSL comes our way soon.

Regards,

Joe

Something we can all agree on. Your feedback is appreciated!

brian.russell31... Thu, 04/29/2010 - 16:10

Hi Guys,

I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware and it seems the ssl/smtp feature still does not work...

Could you advise if this is the case?

Cheers

BR

Steven DiStefano Fri, 04/30/2010 - 10:56

The wvc210 is not a SSL camera and therefore it will not work will gmail and most other mail servers that use SSL.  In the past, pre-rebranding era….the camera ODM had a work around to somehow forward on the mail to a SSL server.  However, that method resulted into inconsistent results so we had this removed during rebranding.

So that would explain why SSL SMTP worked prior to SW upgrade.

Steve

andwill1964 Thu, 07/08/2010 - 04:54

very frustrating...the upgrade removes a key feature that led me to buy this camera...any workarounds and how do I get my money back?

sondretasken Mon, 08/30/2010 - 02:56

Hi,  do this also affect the FTP-function? It will not work

after upgrade either, but it is no information in the manual about this.

And, where is the 1.0.0 firmware? Its gone in the download section!!! Anyone got it?

Donald Holman Wed, 10/13/2010 - 06:31

I just purchased the WVC210 Wireless-G PTZ yesterday, 10/12/2010, and I'm very disappointed in Cisco for not having SSL capabilities built into the software. The majority of the mail servers require this. Come on Cisco; Move into this century. It looks like I will be returning it to the store.

roncabeen Fri, 10/29/2010 - 07:13

Is adding SSL support still in the works for a future update?  I should have done more digging before buying this, but it's still dissapointing that this feature is not included (and that it USED to be here, but was removed, along with the old firmware that allowed it ;-).

Donald Holman Fri, 10/29/2010 - 07:31

It looks like Cisco has known about this for about a year or more. I called Cisco TAC and they were not able to help  me. They told me to download a mail server, but I bought the internet camera so I could connect directly to the internet without a PC connected or running. Hence the name internet camera. Another piece of equipment I own had the same problem, but the company had a patch that added TLS and SSL. The patch resolved the issue for their equipment. I would think Cisco could also come up with a patch for their camera. How about it Cisco?

pajoe1971 Fri, 10/29/2010 - 07:45

I also failed to do the thorough research needed before buying it. I guess I supposed(wrongly of course) that any network camera with internet in mind(DDNS) would be able to send an email directly to my internet-based mailbox.

asarutan Mon, 11/08/2010 - 13:41

The WVC210 can send out email alerts to a G-mailox by other SMTP server such as smtp.aim.com so user can actually use a 3rd party SMTP server if he wants to use G-mail to receive the Motion Dectection email.

Alan.

roncabeen Mon, 11/08/2010 - 16:26

My solution; after some digging around I did find some mail servers that would accept non-ssl, but then ran into a roadblock with my ISP who would not unblock outgoing port 25!  But using port 587 with GMX mail works fine.

n1kkn1kkn1kk Mon, 12/27/2010 - 08:51

I need some help here.  I signed up with GMX mail.

I entered the smtp.mail.gmx.com

do I change the 25 to a 587?

Both still give me the same error message FAIL

This sucks,  if the only answer is going back to firmware 1.0 I would but now it's

not available on the CISCO site.

Ken

Eric Moyers Mon, 12/27/2010 - 09:54

In your post you listed smtp.mail.gmx.com as the SMTP server you used. Please try mail.gmx.com, that I believe is the correct name.

Eric Moyers
Cisco SBSC Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866

n1kkn1kkn1kk Wed, 12/29/2010 - 09:28

I tried this with AIM and could not get it

to work.  I get FAIL message when I try and test.

I set the smtp to:   smtp.aim.com

I set the port to:    587

I entered my user name    xxxx

then I tried it with             [email protected]

tried with and without aurthorzation box checked.

I am getting close to loading an older firmware.

I might start with the previous firmware before I go to 1.0

Ken

brian.russell31... Wed, 12/29/2010 - 10:28

Hi Ken,

To be honest thats what I have done, reset the camera back to the original firmware version as it is the only one that works with gmail account.

Thanks

Brian

n1kkn1kkn1kk Wed, 12/29/2010 - 11:39

Well I have to tell you for a company as big as CISCO and they

can't take care of a simple problem like this is disappointing.

Updates general are for fixing problems. That mean by going

back to an earlier firmware you loose some fixes.

What also surprises me is the lack of CISCO to respond with a solution

to my email to them. Sure, I got an email saying they got

my email and they going to forward it to the right people, blah blah,

This problem has been posted for a few months on their forum site.

Truly unacceptable. I bought from them because I felt they

would offer a level of quality and support beyond the many

cheap ip camera mfg on the market.

Glad you got your unit working too. I am holding on to this firmware

in case I want to experiment with another version they might come

out with.

Ken

Steven DiStefano Wed, 12/29/2010 - 11:53

Hopefully this Partner community is also considered as a way Cisco does collaborate and try to help our Partners.

3 Cisco Engineers chimed in since you originally posted here, and it all remains our best advise and guidance.

I am sorry if it wasn't what you preferred to hear.

Steve

n1kkn1kkn1kk Wed, 12/29/2010 - 12:44

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. What should have happened

is the release of the new firmware should have been

tested for all features before being released.

Notes should have been indicated if it would not work

on certain mail providers for the motion alert.

CISCO with the "business" term associated with it

expects this level of service.

The problem was resolved and I hope I was helpful

with the community resolving the issue.

Regards,

Ken Klimasewski

n1kkn1kkn1kk Wed, 12/29/2010 - 10:36

I have solved my problem by going back back 1 level of firmware.

I download the previous version,   1.1.0.12   and now I can get my mail alert working.

The test message works and motion detection with sending picture to my email works.

This must have been the version that came with the camera since mail alert did

work at that time.  It was only after updating my firmware did things go down hill.

I would grab that version of firmware before they take it off.

If that should happen I will be happy to email it to them

if they send me a private message.

Ken

streaves Wed, 12/29/2010 - 12:54

Ken and Brian -- Thanks for sharing your workaround. It's a big help to others.

Please know that we're monitoring and regrading your input for future releases. Your feedback IS important to us.

Happy New Year!

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

n1kkn1kkn1kk Thu, 02/10/2011 - 19:39

My WVC210 has a problem.  When I try and access it I get

"Video File htm not found"

This was working yesterday.

any support people reading can tell me how I should proceed to get it repair.

This was a Christmas gift so it should still be under warranty

Ken

n1kkn1kkn1kk Thu, 02/10/2011 - 20:44

Well it looks like I am back in business.  I hit the reset button for 30 seconds
and now I can access the camera.

Ken

mpyhala Fri, 02/11/2011 - 16:31

Hi Ken,

Thanks for posting the fix. I just want to mention that you can reset the WVC210 to factory defaults by pressing the reset button for more than 3 seconds. I usually hold the reset for 5 seconds and it works fine.

Actions

This Discussion