cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to configure call pickup group for main office number forwarding - Cisco UCM

Michael Murray
Level 2
Level 2

I am having trouble figuring out the best way to configure a call pickup group for our main office number. I'm running Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1(3).

During normal business hours a call comes in to the main number 410-555-2000 and is routed to the receptionist's phone. She has a DN of 2000 on her 2nd line appearance. If she is at her desk she answers it of course. But when she's not there I want it to ring (after 8 seconds) to three backup other phones in the office. Now I could forward to another DN and have this appear on the backup phones but I don't want people to accidentally answer this just by picking up their phones at the same time a call is being forwarded.

I'd like it if I could force the backup users to press the callpickup button in order to answer the forwarded call. I also don't want the backup users to be able to answer each other's calls so I can't just put them all in the same pickup group either.

Also, I wouldn't mind it if the backup users had to dial something like a *5 to pickup the main number after the forward.

Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Why don't you setup a second line on the 3 backup phones

something like 3000. Set the Forward No Answer on 2000 to

roll to 3000 and adjust the Always Use Prime Line setting on the 3

backup phones to True. This way 3000 will not be answered by accident

When you configure this feature, going off hook makes only the first line active, even when a call rings on another line on the phone; that is, the call does not get answered on that line. In this case, the phone user must choose the other line to answer the call.

For more configuration considerations, see Table 4.

GUI Changes

The Always Use Prime Line for Voice Message setting displays in the following windows in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

System > Service Parameters (for Cisco CallManager service)

Device > Phone

Device > Common Phone Profile

Device > Device Settings > Default Device Profile

Device > Device Settings > Device Profile

Tip If you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in the Service Parameter, Common Phone Profile, and in the Phone Configuration window, Cisco Unified Communications Manager uses the configuration from the Phone Configuration window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucmbe-rel_note-613.html#wp471834

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Why don't you setup a second line on the 3 backup phones

something like 3000. Set the Forward No Answer on 2000 to

roll to 3000 and adjust the Always Use Prime Line setting on the 3

backup phones to True. This way 3000 will not be answered by accident

When you configure this feature, going off hook makes only the first line active, even when a call rings on another line on the phone; that is, the call does not get answered on that line. In this case, the phone user must choose the other line to answer the call.

For more configuration considerations, see Table 4.

GUI Changes

The Always Use Prime Line for Voice Message setting displays in the following windows in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

System > Service Parameters (for Cisco CallManager service)

Device > Phone

Device > Common Phone Profile

Device > Device Settings > Default Device Profile

Device > Device Settings > Device Profile

Tip If you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in the Service Parameter, Common Phone Profile, and in the Phone Configuration window, Cisco Unified Communications Manager uses the configuration from the Phone Configuration window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucmbe-rel_note-613.html#wp471834

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the feedback. That's perfect. I actually had a solution in place that was very similar. To use your example scenario, I set the main line to CFNA to 3000 and put 3000 in a call pickup group with 3001. I put 3001 on all the phones on the 2nd button. When the main number was forwarded people would have to select the 2nd line then hit PickUp which is what I wanted (no accidental pickups). The problem was I couldn't figure out how to alert the phones so we had it hooked up to an overhead bell (which rang on 3000) that was in place from a previous phone system here.

Your solution is much cleaner.

Hey Michael,

You are most welcome my friend! Thanks for posting up your

solution, it is very innovative. +5 points for sharing your ideas

here.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: