cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is switch SLM2008 DLNA certified ?

p_hickman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VITESSE chipset GBe 8 port switch but for reasons unknown to me I cannot communicate to my DNLA apps thru this switch.  I have been using this switch for a couple of years with no issues I assume DLNA is layered on TCP so I am at a loss to understand why a switch would have any role in DNLA connectivity. If I use any combination of my other hubs/switches which are 100Mb it works fine and DLNA connectivity is good.

The quick fix would be to try a new GBe switch, but I cannot find any ref to DLNA certification, could I assume this unit will work before I buy one.

Thx.

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi P_hickman,

Alot of that functionality with DLNA on the local area network is done via IP multicast. It has been interesting that the only issues I have seen on switches was when IGMP snooping was enabled.  In very small networks, seems like DLNA needs to have multicasts flooding to DLNA aware devices.

I am guessing that the "VITESSE chipset GBe 8"  is a unmanaged switch, and that's why DLNA is working on your LAN.  is that correct ? (Unmanaged switches flood by default multicast packets to all ports.)

SLM , SRW or just about any managed switch i can think off would have a option to disable IGMP snooping to allow the flooding of the multicast packets. But is the low cost SLM2008 DLNA certified,  can't find it in the datasheet.  But I would be most keen to see a 1 minute wireshark capture on a DLNA network.

So I can check out specifics about your DLNA implementation on your network.

regards Dave

Hi, thx for the reply.  Your statement "I am guessing that the "VITESSE chipset GBe 8"  is a unmanaged switch, and that's why DLNA is working on your LAN.  is that correct ? (Unmanaged switches flood by default multicast packets to all ports.)" is wrong, this setup does NOT work,  but it is a GbE unmanaged switch.

Blackbox LGB2018A, pdf spec sheet attached.

Replacing it with any unmanaged 100Mbs switch, I have 3 of, DLNa works fine. It is the DLNA discovery element that does not work.

I will have to find a quiet momemt to see if I can capture stuff with wireshark without too much 'other' network noise going on.

So, I ordered one from Amazon today, I hope it works when I get it.

I would really appreciate if Cisco had this unit DLNA certified or accredited as any sort of Networking product and certification are supposed to help you thru the minefield of ensuring various network kit will stand some chance of working together.

Cheers smiler

SLM2008 arrived today, works perfectly straight out of the box. The VLAN stuff looks real nice as I have some stuff ready to use that. So I am real happy this is a great unit.  I don't know if DLNA certification query will get answered, but it seems to work fine.  The old GbE switch is going back.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X