cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500, VSS, VRF and FWSM.

andrea.meconi
Level 2
Level 2

I have a requirement for two, or more VRF instances with a bunch of vlans in each.
I wish the MSFC to do the intervlan routing (within the VRF) and the FWSM to be the path for inter VRF and global communications.
Can someone validate my solution and suggest a solution with a transparent context?
Where can I find more informations?
Many thanks for help.
Andrea

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andrea,

I cannot open your attachment files that are marked as queued.

However, we have VRFs and FWSM with some routed and some transparent contexts.

We have only two interfaces in each transparent context.

The transparent context can be used to allow multicast traffic and to join in a controlled way two VRFs or one VRF and the global routing table

we have been able also to leave EIGRP messages between two VRFs to flow

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Please, could you post an example with transparent context?

Thanks for help.

Andrea

PS. Sorry, files are always QUEUED! And I don't known why?

For attachment, please visit this post https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1319530#1319530.

Hello Andrea,

the key points are :

IRB is used to configure inter-vlan bridging

an ACL to permit BPDU is strictly needed it provides conversion of BDPU to avoid L2 supervisor to detect the two L2 domains are joined (rewrites vlan-id inside proprietary bpdu)

one MSFC SVI needs to have a modified source MAC address in order to exchange messages with SVI in other VRF.

see attachment I've removed object groups

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Andrea,

Please refer to this document for detail explanation of using firewalls in transparent mode or routed mode in multi-VRF configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Network_Virtualization/ServEdge.html

HTH

Reza

Hello Reza,

it's a very interesting document.

Many thanks.

Andrea

Many thanks for your help Giuseppe.

Regards.

Andrea

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card