cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling SSH and disabling Telnet

king06aaa
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to enable SSH on a 3560G switch so I can disable Telnet.

Some have mentioned to do an "sh ssh" to see if I have ssh on the switch. It doesn't show. I also have done "transport input ssh" and ssh isn't a valid input method.

So I decided to upgrade the IOS on the switch. I am now at 12.2(52) SE.

But I still cannot configure SSH. I get the same results as mentioned above.

Since this is the latest version of IOS can I not assume that it contains SSH? Or do I need to download a different version of IOS that specifically has SSH in it?

Thanks for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two versions of Catalyst Switch images (K9/SSH and WIthout SSH). If you do a 'show versi
on' it will display the current version of the IOS running on the switch. If you are running a non-ssh version, you need to upgrade to a ssh (K9) image.

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two versions of Catalyst Switch images (K9/SSH and WIthout SSH). If you do a 'show versi
on' it will display the current version of the IOS running on the switch. If you are running a non-ssh version, you need to upgrade to a ssh (K9) image.

Regards

Farrukh

I am at 12.2(52) SE. I downloaded it as a .TAR file.

I see now, I downloaded the wrong file.

Thanks for your help

Yup, you need a K9/CRYPTO image, e.g:

c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-52.SE.bin

You can use the feature nagivator to search for images with 'Secure Shell' support:

www.cisco.com/go/fn

It can be either .tar or .bin does not matter. The .tar image includes the web-gui files (alongwith the .bin IOS image) and does not affect the SSH capability.

Regards

Farrukh

That's a handy site. Didn't know it existed.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card