Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure multicast to stream video

wayne.owens28
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Currently I have a network that is set-up with a simple star topology. 2 7500 routers that connect through about 90 T1 lines with cameras at the ends. On the end of one T1 line I have a router, an encoder, and a analog camera. The encoder supports multicast. How to do I configue my 2 central routers and each end router to support multicast?

In addtion do I assign each encoder with a specific multicast address with each one being different?

ie: 224.1.1.1/30 or do use the whole subnet 224.1.1.1/24

Any help with this would be great.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

wayne.owens28 wrote:

Hello,

Currently I have a network that is set-up with a simple star topology. 2 7500 routers that connect through about 90 T1 lines with cameras at the ends. On the end of one T1 line I have a router, an encoder, and a analog camera. The encoder supports multicast. How to do I configue my 2 central routers and each end router to support multicast?

In addtion do I assign each encoder with a specific multicast address with each one being different?

ie: 224.1.1.1/30 or do use the whole subnet 224.1.1.1/24

Any help with this would be great.

Across the WAN you definitely would want to configure PIM sparse-mode. You can manually configure the RP on each router or you can use auto-RP to automatically discover the RP. The RP(s) will probably be your 7500 router(s). Have a look at this link which covers basic PIM sparse-mode config for manual and auto-rp and then come back if you have further questions -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/configuration/guide/imc_basic_cfg_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

If the application used to view the streams can work out which camera is sending the stream then you may not need to address each camera with a different multicast address but if it can't then to be able to view an individual cameras stream you will need to give each camera a unique multicast address.

Jon

Gotcha and thanks for the quick reply. I have all the interaces I want to use in ip pim sparse-mode. Now when assiging the multicast group can I use a range that will support all end encoders or does each one need to be on it's own subnet? Each one has it's own T1 serial connection.

wayne.owens28 wrote:

Gotcha and thanks for the quick reply. I have all the interaces I want to use in ip pim sparse-mode. Now when assiging the multicast group can I use a range that will support all end encoders or does each one need to be on it's own subnet? Each one has it's own T1 serial connection.

Wayne

Multicast addresses do not work in the same way that unicast addressing works so it's not really a question of each camera being in it's own subnet, it's more a question of each camera having it's own individual multicast address. Multicast addresses do not have subnet masks.

So it's up to you how you allocate addressing although there are some reserved multicast addresses you shouldn't use. Without wishing to overload you with links here is another one that covers IP Multicast addressing, worth a quick read -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper09186a00802d4643.shtml

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco