cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM Device Discovery

dionjiles
Level 1
Level 1

It's taking forever for DFM to disovery devices in LMS 3.2 I have started a discovery at 9:00 am EST this morning for 487 devices and so far only 90 have been found and set to known while the other are still in a learning state.

I have been dealing with this problem for a couple of days and I have re-initialized the DFM database think I had a corrupt DB

What can I do to resolve this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM suffers from the Three Stooges Syndrome in that if you try to cram a lot of devices into it at once, hillarity will insure.  It can take up to three minutes in this case to manage each device.  Therefore, you may see a whole day spent trying to manage these devices.  However, once they all become known, you shouldn't have issues in the future with delays.

View solution in original post

Yep.  As a device becomes known, DFM starts to poll it.  After at least two polling cycles (eight minutes by default), events should start rolling in, and alerts will appear in the Alerts and Activities Display.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM suffers from the Three Stooges Syndrome in that if you try to cram a lot of devices into it at once, hillarity will insure.  It can take up to three minutes in this case to manage each device.  Therefore, you may see a whole day spent trying to manage these devices.  However, once they all become known, you shouldn't have issues in the future with delays.

Once they become known I should start seeing DFM alerts if I have any devices that have issues correct?

Yep.  As a device becomes known, DFM starts to poll it.  After at least two polling cycles (eight minutes by default), events should start rolling in, and alerts will appear in the Alerts and Activities Display.