Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth distribution

saquib.tandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Netpro
Internet Service Provider allocated 8MB Bandwidth now I need to distribute the Bandwidth in 3 department
Dept1->> 4MB
Dept2->> 3.5MB
Dept3-->> 0.5MB

ISP Wimax Ethernet cable connects to cisco 2960
How do I configure the switch to restrict Dept1 for 4MB only and others as mentioned.

Each Department will connect Ethernet cable directly to Microsoft ISA Server for internet sharing for their department.

Internet Service Provider handed 3 Public IP address, DNS Server IP and a Gateway address to configure on 3 Microsoft ISA Server

I hope to get some help on configuring the switch for the needed restriction

Thank You

Saquib

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

saquib.tandel wrote:

Hello Netpro
Internet Service Provider allocated 8MB Bandwidth now I need to distribute the Bandwidth in 3 department
Dept1->> 4MB
Dept2->> 3.5MB
Dept3-->> 0.5MB

ISP Wimax Ethernet cable connects to cisco 2960
How do I configure the switch to restrict Dept1 for 4MB only and others as mentioned.

Each Department will connect Ethernet cable directly to Microsoft ISA Server for internet sharing for their department.

Internet Service Provider handed 3 Public IP address, DNS Server IP and a Gateway address to configure on 3 Microsoft ISA Server

I hope to get some help on configuring the switch for the needed restriction

Thank You

Saquib

Saquib

Here is the basic idea of what to do -

1) mark all traffic coming on port 1/1 ie. from dept 4 to a certain DSCP value

2) configure shaping on port 1/10 and allocate 50% of the bandwidth to one of the queues

3) map the DSCP value you marked the packets with in step 1) to that queue

Attached is the QOS config guide for the 2960, have a look and if you have further questions come back -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html

Jon

Shaping ?

Switches do not shape traffic, they do policing only.

Since policing cause packet drop as soon a threshold is reached, retransmission will follow, causing in turn more drops and further decrease in performance.

An LAN-orient4ed, unsophisticated switch like a 2960 cannot be used to administer Internet bandwidth efficiently. For that, use a router or a dedicate appliance with true queueing capabilities.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

Shaping ?

Since policing cause packet drop as soon a threshold is reached, retransmission will follow, causing in turn more drops and further decrease in performance.

An LAN-orient4ed, unsophisticated switch like a 2960 cannot be used to administer Internet bandwidth efficiently. For that, use a router or a dedicate appliance with true queueing capabilities.

Paolo

Perhaps a terminology issue ? Yes switches rate limit what they refer to as shaped queues so it is not the same as router shaping.

I should have been more specific in what i referred to as shaping but then again perhaps Cisco should too ie.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

search for shape and according to the data sheet the switch support egress shaping.

To the OP, Paolo is correct in that the "shaping" that switches refer to is not the same as shaping on a router.

Jon

Hello

I got one 2621 Router and one 2801 Router both with only two fast Ethernet ports.

Can anyone of them do the job.

With Router in Picture how the physical connectity will be, do I still need the 2960SW

I do need help on configuration for BW distribution.

Thanks

Saquib

No, it's not the same.

A router qith queuing can buffer a number of packets (tensor more) sufficient to emulate a physicla circuit, to which TCP will adapt nicely and not drop packets aftenr one or two initially. When a burst from a new connection arrives, there will be still space in queue to admit and treat it.

A switch instead has limited buffering, perhaps few packets per port. So correctly this cal fucntion is called policing.

All this is explained in the documents you linked.

Do not use switches for WAN QoS.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

Shaping ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet09186a00801df1d9.html  

Hi Jon

Can you guide with steps needed on Router for Bandwidth distribution

Quoting myself from above:

A LAN-oriented, unsophisticated switch like a 2960 cannot be used to administer Internet bandwidth

The link you posted is about the 6500 / 7600, that is a sophisticated, WAN-oriented switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco