Helpful
Replies

ASA5510-SSL50-K9 + SSL VPN Client

pawelek_maly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is a fragment from a Cisco doc:

"SSL VPN Client (Tunnel Mode)—Downloads a small           client to the remote workstation and allows full secure access to resources on           an internal corporate network. You can download the SSL VPN Client (SVC) to a           remote workstation permanently, or you can remove the client once the secure           session is closed."

I have few questions [requirements]:

- Do I need admin rights?

- "Full secure access": -> Outlook? RDP? Shared folders?

- Will it work with Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit?

Is anyone running ASA5510 SSL SVC. Good/bad experience? Would you recommend it?

Will be very grateful for any advice. More docs I read more confused I become ;-)

Thank you.

Regards,

Pawel

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mopaul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Pawel,

1. For the first installation, you need administrative privileges.       However, subsequent upgrades do not require the admin level privilege.

2. Yes , full secure access.

3. Anyconnect VPN client works with

• Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).
  • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)—SP2 or Vista Service Pack 1 with KB952876.
  • Windows XP SP2 and SP3.

Anyconnect/SSL VPN is a new generation VPN client which is anytime more secure and stable than traditional IPsec VPN client. In the initial stage, any new technology can be troublesome but later when you get familiar with it, its becomes your cup of tea and you start loving it. Cisco TAC is open 24X7 , and is just a call away :-) At NetPro , we try our best to answer your queries in best possible manner. To sum up with this , i would say once you start learning the 64 bit technology you will have mix of Good and Bad experiences but then again thats how learning grows and so you...

Knowledge is always an addition :-)

In case you have further doubt , the link below may answer them

http://http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps8411/products_qanda_item09186a00809aec31.shtml#qa1

Release Notes for Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, Release 2.4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect24/release/notes/anyconnect24rn.html#wp988316

HTH.... :-)

Regards

M

P.S : For all users whenever you post your questions and the solution given to you works, please make sure you rate it. That helps other users with same query to get their answers in less time rather posting a new thread for same thing and waiting for answers. This saves time for both author and the person who replies to it.

Mohit Paul CCIE-Security 35496 P.S Please do rate this post if you find it helpful to make it easier for others seeking answers to similar queries

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pawel

I have implemented ASAs for several customers (though most were not ASA5510s). Our experience with AnyConnect has been good. Using it we can do Outlook, RDP, shared folders, and other common functions.

AnyConnect does support XP, Vista, and Windows 7 in their 32 bit and 64 bit implementations. I tested an earlier version of AnyConnect with Windows 7 and most things worked. But a few things did not work - such as Start Before Logon. The new version of AnyConnect (2.4) is the first version with official support for Windows 7. The things that did not work before - such as Start Before Logon - do work with the most recent version.

I would recommend the AnyConnect client as the SSL SVC client that you should be comfortable using.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mopaul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Pawel,

1. For the first installation, you need administrative privileges.       However, subsequent upgrades do not require the admin level privilege.

2. Yes , full secure access.

3. Anyconnect VPN client works with

• Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).
  • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)—SP2 or Vista Service Pack 1 with KB952876.
  • Windows XP SP2 and SP3.

Anyconnect/SSL VPN is a new generation VPN client which is anytime more secure and stable than traditional IPsec VPN client. In the initial stage, any new technology can be troublesome but later when you get familiar with it, its becomes your cup of tea and you start loving it. Cisco TAC is open 24X7 , and is just a call away :-) At NetPro , we try our best to answer your queries in best possible manner. To sum up with this , i would say once you start learning the 64 bit technology you will have mix of Good and Bad experiences but then again thats how learning grows and so you...

Knowledge is always an addition :-)

In case you have further doubt , the link below may answer them

http://http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps8411/products_qanda_item09186a00809aec31.shtml#qa1

Release Notes for Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, Release 2.4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect24/release/notes/anyconnect24rn.html#wp988316

HTH.... :-)

Regards

M

P.S : For all users whenever you post your questions and the solution given to you works, please make sure you rate it. That helps other users with same query to get their answers in less time rather posting a new thread for same thing and waiting for answers. This saves time for both author and the person who replies to it.

Mohit Paul CCIE-Security 35496 P.S Please do rate this post if you find it helpful to make it easier for others seeking answers to similar queries

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pawel

I have implemented ASAs for several customers (though most were not ASA5510s). Our experience with AnyConnect has been good. Using it we can do Outlook, RDP, shared folders, and other common functions.

AnyConnect does support XP, Vista, and Windows 7 in their 32 bit and 64 bit implementations. I tested an earlier version of AnyConnect with Windows 7 and most things worked. But a few things did not work - such as Start Before Logon. The new version of AnyConnect (2.4) is the first version with official support for Windows 7. The things that did not work before - such as Start Before Logon - do work with the most recent version.

I would recommend the AnyConnect client as the SSL SVC client that you should be comfortable using.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Many thanks guys!

Regards,

Pawel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: