Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 Dual wan Router and modem configuration

gunmuse_prnn
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a Dual Wan Router Rv082 on the

recommendation of the Qwest rep I was talking to on the phone.  I went through what appeared to be obvious steps to setup the router.  But some quirks keep appearing that down my small network.

First I have 2 HP dl385's that have dedicated IP's assigned to them Box 1 runs my DNS for both boxes.  CentOs 5.3 on both boxes.  I have 2 Qwest DSL Modems Line 1 has the Dedicated IP's that I use and Line 2 is just a normal line.  I have a Windows xp personal computer that as well. I don't configure it with a dedicated IP but I can if need be.

Qwest does not have Fiber to the curb where I am located and thats why I am doing things this way. so please help me configure what I have available to me and not suggest I go get what I can't get.  Qwest is working on Fiber to the curb but its a year away.  This is what I have for now.

Ok both lines are 900k UP and 7 mb/sec down.   My goal is to get the full 1.8 mb/sec of up available to all 3 computers  The 2 servers visable to the outside world.   this is up and working with the servers plugged into the Dedicated modem directly.

Now I went into the RV082 and setup and plugged all the computers in and everything worked like it should for 12 hours.  THEN the router took some initive and reissued IP's to the CentOs boxes.  Since the Nic cards are hard configured to their respective Ip's not sure how it did this.  But of course once it did the websites went down.   So I reconfigured the Rv082 to use Fail over to Line 2 instead of round robin bandwidth sharing(reason I bought the router).  Same problem.  Router issued new Ip's instead of my dedicated ones even though I had DHCP turned off.

I configured the modem so that the Mac addresses were specific to the IP address'  this also did not stop the auto issueing of IP addresses.

So My thought is that the modem actually issued the ip's and router was not at fault. I am also under the understanding that the router/modem can be configured to act as if the modems were not there making my router my gateway instead of my modem.

Now Box 1 has 4 dedicated IP's on it and Box 2 only 1  So I am not sure how to set this router up so that it knows that 4 ip addresses are going to the same port.  So that it uses the full 1.8 mb/sec for upstream for the commercial servers even though the dedicated modem only shows 900k of upload.

1 Reply 1

mrperl123
Level 1
Level 1

1) I think if you double-check the IP settings on each machine, turn them off, turn them on again, and double-check again, that you will get your network to work.

2) However, the RV082 is a consumer router. It might work for you as a "data center router", but many reviews online indicate its load balancing is not 100% reliable. YMMV.

3) The RV082 does "route sharing" for load balancing, so that may interfere with SSL sessions if you have https links on your site by ping-ponging requests.

4) Make sure you make the most of your existing bandwith by serving web pages with gzip compression, and optimize your images and cache expiry headers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card