cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

why delay can't work???????

QFX527518
Level 1
Level 1

i have two router and one switch,all of then connect to the switch.now,when i change the r1 fas0/0 's delay 10000.and ping the ip

of r1's fas0/0 by the r2.the response time is only 23ms.why? i have change the delay is 10000.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

there are software based WAN emulators I've used some years ago one from Shunra to emulate a satellite link

http://www.shunra.com/shunra-ve-desktop.php?keyword=Shunra%20VE%20Desktop

you can download a free trial.

it should allow you to emulate delay, packet loss and so on.

You should install it on a PC with two NICs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

delay and bandwidth are administrative parameters that are used by routing protocols like EIGRP to calculate metric.

bandwidth provides a reference for modular QoS.

you cannot emulate a high latency link using the delay command, it has no effect on how traffic is processed.

be also aware that delay is set in tens of microseconds so 10000 is actually 100000 microseconds = 100 msecs

Hope to help

Giuseppe

very thx giuslar. i know the delay and bandwidth are administrative parameters .other ,how can we do to dealy the traffic on fastether ?

Hello,

there are software based WAN emulators I've used some years ago one from Shunra to emulate a satellite link

http://www.shunra.com/shunra-ve-desktop.php?keyword=Shunra%20VE%20Desktop

you can download a free trial.

it should allow you to emulate delay, packet loss and so on.

You should install it on a PC with two NICs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card