Views
Helpful
Replies

Discovery in LMS 3.2

lambay2000
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Am not able to discover the devices in LMS 3.2. I have tried many ways but could'nt?? I have been through common services user guide 3.3 but no results.

I added manually 2 devices they were added successfully.but automatic discovery could'nt happen by any of the modules of discovery.

The steps i took to discover:

1) Manually added the switch where the LMS is connected and it came in DCR.

2)I choose CDP module and DCR seed device to discover but nothing found other than the one.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you cannot poll these devices via SNMP from the LMS server, then contact your network/firewall team, and have them open connectivity for you.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure the two seed devices you added actually have CDP neighbors, and you do not have an SNMP view configured which blocks

the ciscoCdpMIB branch of the MIB tree.  Also, make sure your Discovery filters allow other devices (besdies the seeds) to be discovered.

Hey clarke,

Sorry to reply late,

The device which is added to LMS is the core switch where each and every distribution switch is connected,there are no filters configured and CDP is enabled on each and every interface and globally.

Any more logs required please reply me.

Make sure you have not configured a limiting CDP hop count in Discovery.  For example, if you specify a hop count of one, only the seed devices and their directly connected neighbors will be discovered.  It's best to leave the hop count blank.  If you still cannot find the missing devices, open a TAC service request so additional debugging can be enabled.

Hi clarke,

IT was LMS 3.0.1 and i upgraded to LMS 3.2 ,after upgrading i deleted all the devices just for learning purpose and for good practice of discovering the devices in different modules, I have enabled jump boundaries in CDP ther is no hop limit and can u tell me where i can specify such???   if am missing,

As you have mentioned in ur previous mail:

you do not have an SNMP view configured which blocks the ciscoCdpMIB branch of the MIB tree ! where i have to look for this option.

Definately there is something from my side am missing Clarke, You will lead me to success more suggestion pls.

Thanks.

When you add seed devices to the CDP discovery module, there are two fields.  One is for the IP address of the seed device, and the other is for the hop count.  It is recommended to leave this second field blank unless you really want to limit the number of CDP hops discovered.

As for checking if the ciscoCdpMIB is excluded from a device, a show run will show if an snmp-server view is applied to your community string.  If it is, check the configuration of the view to make sure you don't see "ciscoCdpMIB excluded".

Hey clarke,

My seed device's is DCR i have not specified any ip address for seed devices,and also there is no snmp-server view configured,Clarke i have unreacheable devices in discovery,some are duplicate repeating again and some are new,how i can run a snmp walk on them to make sure they are reacheable through snmp,As i can't find them in Device center because they are not in DCR can u give me any cli to run snmp on those devices for our satisfaction.

Thanks

You can still use Device Center even if devices are not in DCR.  Just manually type in one of the unreachable device's IP addresses in the Device Center device selector, then you can use the SNMP Walk utility.  Discovery uses its own SNMP community strings different than tnose in DCR, so make sure you have entered the proper credentials in Discovery Settings.

Hi clarke,

I have discovered the devices as normal just i change the setting's in SNMP TAB by doing 10.*.*.* it was before *.*.*.* like this,But the display of devics is not a hostname but the interface IP address and not the loopback ip address.

I was playing with global settings tab for display of hostname in device and credentials TAB by many ways but i could'nt,can u give me any alternative to show hostname as display name.

Thanks,

For loopbacks, Discovery will choose the loopback with the highest IP address.  That IP address must then be resolvable in either DNS or the server's local hosts file.

For resolve by name, the IP address by which a device is discovered must resolve to a hostname.  That hostname must then resolve back to the desired management IP address.

For resolve by SysName, the susName of the device must be resolvable to an IP address.  That IP must then resolve back to the desired hostname of the device.

So, whatever option you choose, you will need DNS or the server's local hosts file setup properly.

Hey clarke,

Here is the attached for the unreacheable devices,what important lines are useful to proof  that SNMP walk is reacheable.

Thanks

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While these devices are reachable via SNMP from the LMS server, this does not prove that the credentials you configured in Discovery Settings are correct.  Start a sniffer trace filtering on udp/161 traffic between one of these devices.  Then run a new Discovery.  When it completes, check the trace file to see what SNMP credential is being used.  Make sure that that credential is correct.

Hi Clarke,

Here is the attached wireshark output i did'nt see any snmp request for the unreacheable devices,I can see only reacheable devices request sucessful with get request and response but for unreacheable devices it is showing me nothing It is showing me too many multicast request i dont know where this multicast packets are going too.

Thanks

Post your NMSROOT/conf/csdiscovery/CSDiscovery-config.xml file.

Hi clarke,

Here is the attached  file .

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: