Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 boot problem

octroncisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I’m having problems with a Catalyst 6500 with two WS-SUP720 supervisors. When I try to boot the supervisors up, they show these messages:

11:47:29.284 FW[Mod 06]: sso_set_reg: ERR sso 2: reg 0x05 value 0x08 rc 0x80

11:47:29.284 FW[Mod 06]: sso_set_reg_direct: ERR sso 2: reg 0x47 value 0xA0 rc 0x80

11:47:29.284 FW[Mod 06]: sso_set_reg: ERR sso 2: reg 0x04 value 0x01 rc 0x80

11:47:29.284 FW[Mod 06]: sso_set_reg: ERR sso 2: reg 0x05 value 0x08 rc 0x80

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x24, context= 0x44ae0504

PC = 0x41d73e94, SP = 0x4309e108, RA = 0x4106fad8

Cause Reg = 0x00003820, Status Reg = 0x34008002

rommon 1 >

and the IOS doesn’t start (I’m returned to the ROMmon prompt).

Before these messages, it appears this one:

Warning: Rommon NVRAM area is corrupted. Initialize the area to default values

For this reason, I’ve rebooted the supervisor with the “confreg 0x2142” and this message doesn’t appear again but I’m having the sames problems with SSO errors.

I tried to boot with another IOS image from the flash memory but It didn’t solved the problem.

I don’t think that is a hardware problem because I have the same problem with the two supervisor engines.

The output of the context command is:

rommon 4 > context

context: kernel context is not valid

Does anybody know a possible cause of this incident?

Thanks in advance,

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello octron,

have a look at following document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

being SSO the redundancy strategy I would try with only one supervisor inserted in the chassis to see what happens

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

I had a similar issue a few months ago, turned out to be a corrupt flash file system.

Try booting with just 1 sup720 installed. If it boot ok try the other on it's own.

If you get on up ok insert the flash card into the extra slot and format it, then squeeze it. After that copy the IOS image from the good one to the newly formatted card.

Work for me.

Hello robins,

With only one supervisor It doesn't boot either.

Best regards,

octroncisco
Level 1
Level 1

Helo Giuseppe,

Thank you for the info.

I've tried to boot the supervisor engine following that document (booting with an IOS image from a compact flash) but I have the same problem. With only one supervisor It doesn't boot either.

Best regards,

If you read through the document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

This describes how you can recover from corrupt/lost IOS image (stuck in rommon) or how to recover if you have a corrupt/lost bootldr image file.

I guess if you are stuck in rommon you have check that there is a bootldr file present with the "set" command and tried to force a the Sup to load with the "boot" command.

If you have a corrupt IOS image file that will not boot then you can tftp a new image down from rommon, if the bootldr is lost then it needs to be replaced with a new image file via xmodem. Takes a little while though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card