Are simulations present in the CCIE R&S written exam?

Unanswered Question
Nov 24th, 2009

Are simulations present in the CCIE R&S written exam?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cristip Tue, 11/24/2009 - 09:56

I am totally confused after reading that link. If you look at this (aswer 110) you will see that that answer contradicts what is stated on the page indicated by your link.

The CCIE R&S written exam is a two-hour qualification exam with 90-110 questions taken online at a Cisco authorized Pearson VUE testing center. The questions are a combination of multiple choice and more complex, interactive items that assess technical knowledge on topics such as IP, IP routing, bridging and switch-related technologies, and some equipment commands.The exam is closed book and no outside reference materials are allowed.

On the other hand Maurillio is saying (aswer 110 see the link above)

Hi Cristian,

You may find questions that have will refer to a snapshot or output from a show command but you will not be asked to enter or choose an answer based on a specific command. In other words, you do not need to memorize any command syntax to take the exam.

Interactive items may not necessarly mean simulations.For me it doesn't make much sense to be tested on practicall matters when this is going to be tested in the lab. This is the reason why I am asking. This and the fact that I just spoke with somebody who passed the voice written test and he told me that there were some simulation like questions.

Brandon Buffin Tue, 11/24/2009 - 10:02

Cisco just updated the written and lab exams recently. According to the following accouncement, the new written exam includes "new scenario based questions." I guess this mirrors the fact that they are now asking open-ended questions in the lab exam. It seems that they are requiring theory on the lab exam and vice versa. This decision hasn't been real popular, but it is the current fact.

cristip Tue, 11/24/2009 - 10:11

Let's not jump to the scenario issue which is still OK, you don't have to configure anything there but you have to understand the configuration in order to answer the question. I am trying to find out whether I have to memorize things like the rigght command to enable one thing or disable an other or whether a command line can be used in global config mode or in interface mode and so on. This are things that you can easily find out if you have a fully functional router in fromt of you.

The simulations (it has been a while since I last saw one in an exam) are not helping you and you do have to remember the syntax and the sequence of the command lines you need to apply in order to answer the question. This is not (in my opinion) a way to test the skills that somebody has because with a real router in front of you you can do a lot better that with the crippled simmulation. (please don't say anything about GNS3 because we know it is not used in simmulation)

This Discussion