Soft Phone Configuration

Unanswered Question
Nov 24th, 2009
User Badges:

1. I have a client who is interested in only using the soft phones (CIPC) for his office and we are looking at close to 30-40 users.

What i want to know is if there is a max limit on the number of users that can be set up with soft phones. Also what UC520 box will i be looking to purchase?

2. The client would also like the users to work from home, in which case they would need to vpn into the box. Is there a limit on the number of vpn connections to

the UC520 for a single group?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Trad Tue, 11/24/2009 - 14:13
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2013 Small Business

Hi Murtaza,

Here is my take on your questions :)

1. I have a client who is interested in only using the soft phones
(CIPC) for his office and we are looking at close to 30-40 users.

What i want to know is if there is a max limit on the number of users
that can be set up with soft phones. Also what UC520 box will i be
looking to purchase?

You can use a 48 users UC-500 if you wanted to reduce costs, but i would highly recommend you look at a 2800 series, maybe a 2801 or 2811 <<< The later being the preferred option. What you are asking for is achievable, in fact we have one client now that has all 53 users hanging of their 2800 series and they are all remote bar 4 of them. You are not asking for a difficult thing, you just need to make sure the specs are right and that you use the right voice codecs to support such a thing, and that you have thought the network toplogy out before implimentation, otherwise you will end up pulling your hair out over the problem solving excercise.

2. The client would also like the users to work from home, in which
case they would need to vpn into the box. Is there a limit on the
number of vpn connections to

the UC520 for a single group?

The UC-500 will support 10 external VPN connections, if this is suffice then this could be an option, if you move up too the 2800 series you can increase this significantly, although i would highly recommend that you look at a 1801 as the interface and let it manage all the VPN users to leave as much resources free on the Telephony system as possible, i am not a big fan of jamming as much as you can into one system, it leaves too much room for error and problems.

I guess what i am saying is, what you want to do can be done and with little to no problems at all, it comes down to how you plan it and who you speak with, make sure you get your Cisco Account Manager to get their engineers behind them assisting you with the network design, their assistance on this can mean the make or break difference, sadly it is an underutilized part of Cisco, Partners seem to have a tendency to go it alone even though there is this free help that could be invaluable to a person.

Good luck with yoru decision making process.

Cheers,

David.