"Auth Fail" 7975G IP Phone firmware upgrade after UC520 8.0.0

Unanswered Question
Nov 24th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi Guys,

When cisco IP phones boots i get presented with the cisco splash screen as if it is trying to upgrade the firmware then I get Auth Fail....

This is after I upgraded to UC520 8.0.0 ......

Can someone please help as the Cisco engineer told me to put a TAC case in..... If I do this, it means everypart of my Cisco Infra has been replaced in the last week.....

I have copied the latest firmware files to my flash card but the phone still display Auth Fail.....

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Trad Tue, 11/24/2009 - 14:03
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2013 Small Business

Hi Brian,

Have you done the following?

1. Updated your TFTP-SERVER details to reflect the new loads?

2. Have you updated the load in the Telephony-Service section to reflect the new loads?

3. Have you done a debug TFTP event and seen what the error is on the IOS itself?

Check the first two and do the third one, that will help us to help you quicker and easier ;)

If you have any troubles with carrying out the above, let us know and i will provide you with a quick tutorial on how to do it.

Cheers,

David.

brian.russell31... Tue, 11/24/2009 - 14:17
User Badges:

Hi David,

Thanks for your help, a tutorial or dummies guide would be a big help.

Thanks

Brian

David Trad Tue, 11/24/2009 - 14:49
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2013 Small Business

Hi Brian,

Working on that for you now, i will attach it as soon as it is done, give me a little bit of time to do it up for you as i am juggling some stuff at work right now, but i should have something for you in a couple of hours at worst.

Cheers,

David.

David Trad Tue, 11/24/2009 - 17:02
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2013 Small Business

Hi Brian,

I just realized halfway through this document, that if you are using CCA version 2.2, the you can quickly update the phone loads using it, if i am not mistaken the way to do this is to drag the phone load (Zipped or Unzipped??) onto the UC-500 icon in CCA and CCA will automatically carry out the TFTP connection and modified the IOS Config to suite the new phone load.

Give that a try whilst i am working on this document, you should only rely on the CLI when the GUI is jut not able to do what you want, the CLI can be a lengthy process and can at times be frustrating, especially if you don't know your way around it (which i dont know if you do or not).

So do the following:

1. Log onto your UC-500 using the latest version of CCA (2.2)
  2. Go to the topology screen
  3. Locate the phone load (Have one zipped and another unzipped)

Drag the Zip file onto the UC-500 icon in the topology screen (Try and keep this file in its original format as it was downloaded from Cisco)

1. If the above does not work for you, drag over the Unzipped file
  2. If the second one does not work for you, then go to the unzipped folder and drag over the files individually
  3. If the upload of the files was successful, you should not technically be able to unplug the phone and then re-power it back up, it should start its updating procedure.

You may also want to factory reset the phone, you do this by holding the # key down and then plug the network cable back in to power it up, the Line lights will begin to flash, and you then press the following: 123456789*0# and this will reset the phone back to factory defaults.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers,

David.

brian.russell31... Tue, 11/24/2009 - 17:16
User Badges:

Hi David,

The phone doesnt appear in the CCA 2.2 window.

David Trad Tue, 11/24/2009 - 17:20
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2013 Small Business

Hi Brian,

The phone should need to appear, you drag the files onto the UC-500 icon, this will update the phone loads... or it should at least.

Cheers,

David.

(PS) if you are in urgent need of resolution, i can remote desktop to your system and assist you with what you need to do, this way you can watch what is taking place as well, but that should only be looked at as a last resort if the matter is really urgent.

Message was edited by: David Trad

brian.russell31... Tue, 11/24/2009 - 17:24
User Badges:

Ok phone has just appeares... IP address is 10.1.1.11.

However the phone seems to come and go....

The phone load file I have is: UC520-Phone-Loads-8.0.0.tar

is this what I am looking for?

David Trad Tue, 11/24/2009 - 17:42
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2013 Small Business

Hi Brian,

If that is what came with the UC-500 system upgrade package then that is the one you should use, the only one i am aware of is the following:

cmterm-7975-sccp.8-5-3.zip

But you are using CME version 8, i dont think i can assit you with this as i have not begun to work shop that release yet so i have no clue about its quirks, problems, issue and any other funny business it has, thus i might end up steering you down the wrong path :(

But if i am not mistaken, if you didnt choose the 7975 phone load when you began the upgrade procedure then the phone loads will not be on the flash card, but the phoen should still load up using its default phone load, if it is not then the problem is something else, and that problem could be related to CME version 8.

Cheers,

David.

John Platts Tue, 11/24/2009 - 19:52
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

I once had a problem with a firmware upgrade on a 7931G phone, while I was installing the phone at a UC520 customer. I had already loaded the 7.0.3 software pack and had installed the 7931G phone load on the UC520 unit. I had to perform a factory reset a few times to get it to upgrade, but it eventually took the firmware upgrade.

brian.russell31... Thu, 11/26/2009 - 15:41
User Badges:

Thanks John, after tinkering with different versions of the software packs I did manage to get my phone backup.

brian.russell31... Wed, 12/02/2009 - 14:11
User Badges:

Hi,

I know what you feel... would you beleive after tinkering I did manage to get the phone back up and running.....I had to go back to version 7.0.3 and use the phone loads.... Reset the 7975g phone by using the factory reset method a few times.... and rebooted the uc520 several times... and honestly somehow the phone eventually did load and take the firmware.... Once I had the phone back online I then proceeded with the uc8.0.0 upgrade....

Fingers crossed so far aftr 3 days of Cisco TAC support on sev 3 case I now have a stable enviroment which I dont dare go near incase of the inevatable....

But something like we have should not be like this.......

Let me know if you want my walk through......

Unlike you my phones are stll working fine.  I do have another inbound SIP issue -I digress -   Currently my phones are Load File SCCP75.8-3-2S and the UC520 is showing SCCP75.8.5.3S

I have a Cisco Service Request open now and I am on hold number 613116873.  In case they get a resolution for me or any Cisco folk wana reffrence that case ID.

Here is the scoop-id-de-do-da

You can't go to 8.5.3 SCCP load on the 7975G unless you are currently at 8.5.1 or 8.5.2  any other load and it will fail auth(hence the subject of this thred),   DUNNO-why,  but that's what the dude said.   So you need to manaualy import the 8.5.2 phone loads into flash via CLI.  Absolutly no clue on how to do that!   Once you do and all your phones have updated to 8.5.2 you can manualy import 8.5.3 and rock on with your bad-self!     Anyway,  I do not have the support contract to download the 8.5.2 files in order to get the 8.5.3 files loaded depite the fact that Cisco states you are allowed to download the LATEST firmware within 30 days of purchace of a UC520.  What they don;t say is you may downlaod them but getting them loaded will require you to upgrade to an intermedate realese and that will take MULAHHH, or,  more MuhLA!  than you already spent.  :)

But,  the phones look so freekin cool,   so,   I just keep beatin my head against this cisco wall! 

If anyone can hook this fine looking Irishman up with some 8.5.2SCCP7975 love-    I would be tickled.  oh yeah,  I have 7921's and 7916's that i suspect, if things go exactly wrong, as they always do, I will be needing a couple new threds on 7921 Auth fail'age and 7916 go-west-young-man.

Can I rant one more time?   That double footstand for the 7916's needs to come with an instruction booklet,  the circa 1988 Lego Technic prop-plane was simpler than that hose hound.

Dave

brian.russell31... Wed, 12/02/2009 - 15:46
User Badges:

Huh, I am now confudlled if there is such a word.... What files are you looking for?

I have:

cmterm-7975-sccp.8-5-3.zip

cmterm-7975-sip.8-5-3.zip

Do you not have a Cisco CCO account?

I will have a tennants and you can have a guiness that should settle the auld nerves....

I knew I had seen that word confudlled before,  it is posted under the main logo at Cisco's HQ.  Seriously,  the company does make some good products, its just that it is Cadilac pricing.  If you want it you either pay some CCIE to sit and weed thought the maze outragious amounts of money or grin and bear it.  I am in the grin and bear it camp.

So,  no I do not have a COO or whatever you called it,  just a cisco web login.  I think what happend is that the scab internet merchant I bought the UC520 though last week has a service contract of some sort, becouse when I called in for help and gave them the model number of the UC520 they sent me right over to support and kept calling me Michale.  I just went with it!

So what WE need is

1) 8-5-2 SCCP phone loads

2) Ability to load into flash

Once we load the 8-5-2 the 8-5-3 will take.  The loads are loacted here

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=8.5(2)SR1&mdfid=281346597&sftType=Skinny+Client+Control+Protocol+(SCCP)+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=7&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+Unified+IP+Phone+7975G&treeMdfId=278875240&modifmdfid=&imname=&treeName=Voice+and+Unified+Communications&hybrid=Y&imst=N

brian.russell31... Thu, 12/03/2009 - 02:25
User Badges:

Hi,

I would recommend getting Cisco SmartNet support for your UC520..... This means you can download the software from the Cisco web site, put in a service request etc... If your UC520 is for your business then you really should get this... If it goes pop like mine it will be replaced overnight.... and you can get supperb customer support etc..... You can only purchase this through your reseller......

My UC520 is going to be for my home automation system... It will become the connecting module for all the different components.....

Anyways I have downloaded the files for you... So I hope this helps....

Thank you!  Thank you!   Thank you! 

Yes, I see that smartnet might be the way to go,  my issue is that before I drop another dime into Cisco's purse I want to make sure this thing even works.   So far it has been 10 days of bugs, firmware updates, workarounds and frustration.    We currently have a Talkswitch system.  <<<

Your house you say?   Sweet!

Anyway,

I will try to figure out how to get SCCP loaded into flash via CLI and then get all phones to 8-5-2.   Once at 8-5-2, I think we can go to 8-5-3.   stay tuned.

I have some other issues!   There is a known bug in the 15.0(1)XA IOS that is preventing my sip providor from delivering inbound calls.  The providor (NexVortex) is getting a reject with a 500 internal server error.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtc86342

It says that this bug is fixed in IOS 15.1(0.14)T    and 15.0(1)M0.10 .  The question is,  where is this IOS, is it compatable with the UC520/8.0CME, how do I get it, can I load it?  Does your magic login offer any words of wisdom on this?  :)

dave

brian.russell31... Thu, 12/03/2009 - 08:25
User Badges:

Yup,

I am actually chuffed with the UC520, its the first product that I have purchased that is "All in One" wi-fi, vpn, etc....

My SIP provider is Skype and they have a promo on just on the amount of channels for my home I have 4 concurrent channels.... All I require is a well specked out ISP connection....

I am bit of techno-guru... I thrive on it......

I also have the Cisco PVT IP Cameras as well.....

You should check out e-home automation.... If you like that sort of thing.....

I see there was a bug in the UC5208.0.0 and I have downloaded the new version and going to "ZAP" the UC520 again......

Any other files you need? What version of the CCA are you using? You really dont need to use CLI unless you format wipe or lose the flash cards etc....

I only use the copy commands or wri mem commands or the best one reload command....

Thats about my CLI knowledge.....

I would try getting the UC5208.0.0 pack again as it is was updated last night try and use the CCA 2.2 to upgrade the device and select the correct phones you have.... then once the device reloads .... if the phones are still going Auth Fail.... power of the UC power on ... if that fails go back to 7.0.3 or 7.1.1. using the CCA to upgrade again power off and power on until the phone picks up the firmware thats what I did once it gets the firmware happy days then upgrade to the latest software pack......

Have you factory reset the phone and do you know how to do this?????

Unplug the cable press and hold the # key and plug the cable back in while holding the key down.... When the little lights at the right hand side of the screen start to blink in order press 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 * 0 # and bish bash bosh the phone will reset....

Hope this helps....

N-joy.... Btw check out the skype sip program..... Seems to be good.....

Good stuff,

I am mostly stuck with Nexvortex becouse we have 25 DID's with them,   eitherway it is fine as Nexvortex has worked flawlessly with Talkswitch.

ok,   gotcha on 7.1.1

any chance you can put that 7.1.1 full load on here.  The only pacs I have access to are 713 early adopter and 800

Keep a wide berth from vonage!   there network sucks.   When i was reviewing SIP providors I asked them what the IP address was of there proxy server and then i did a  ping test with large packets for 3 days to see who had the best ping times, least jitter (fluctuation in ping time) and least packet loss from my location  ie

ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX -n 100000 -l 1024

For me nexvortex over 3 days and 1million packets had 0% loss, an anverage ping time of 35ms and the jitter was +/- 20ms with one or two exceptions.  It is not  that other providors are bad its just that the path to their proxy may be a long one or a bad one from your location.  Also  you want to do a  tracert XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX to the proxy's your are testing to see who has the fewest "hops" and what netoworks you are handed off to.   With Nexvortex and from my Comcast circuit it is always fewer than 12.  Vonage was like 30!

brian.russell31... Thu, 12/03/2009 - 10:29
User Badges:

Do you have an ftp site and i will push them over to you? I can push you both versions 7.0.3 and 7.1.1?

I am in the middle of trying to reapply the uc520 8.0.0 and guess what it failed so I am just doing a factory reset of the CUE...

Oh joy another late night one...

Ok buddy!!!   Yippie!   i made some great progress today! 

here is the deal with the SIP Internal 500 error.   When you get set up with a SIP providor you will need to remove the IP filter if your ITSP sends SIP invites from multiple gateways (most do)

Here is the code in CLI   easy

to remove

voice source-group CCA_SIP_SOURCE_GROUP

type

-conf t
-voice source-group CCA_SIP_SOURCE_GROUP
-no access-list 2
-translation-profile incoming SIP_Incoming
-exit

If you get a chance to FTP the 703 or 704 tomorow that would be great!

brian.russell31... Fri, 12/04/2009 - 03:05
User Badges:

Ok I will ftp you the files when I get home later on this afternoon...

Steven Smith Fri, 12/04/2009 - 08:16
User Badges:

This will open up a security hole.  This is not recommended at all.  The best thing to do is to have your ITSP give you a list of IP's they are sending you.  Then, on the SIP trunk page in CCA, go to the Advanced Options Tab.

Here, add in the other IP's that the ITSP is using.  This will fix the problem the proper way.

Steven DiStefano Fri, 12/04/2009 - 08:22
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

PLEASE follow Steven's advise.   This is the whole toll fraud thing that can happen where unauthorized users access your system 9like a DISA) and make calls on your system

My ISTP  (NexVortex) said there are far to many potential gateways/subnets that the SIP invites could be comming from and whats more they are changing all the time.   unfortunatly this is the only way I can make it work.   Is there another way to secure SIP traffic short of a VPN to ISTP that they will never sign off on?

Another thing,

I have quite a few phones that I have operating off site though my sonicwall VPN network.   The phones are able to register and recieve a DHCP from 10.1.1.1 as I was able to connect VLAN 100 10.1.1.0 subnet though the VPN and place and recieve calls.  The issue is that my remote phones show NO HOST FOUND when you hit the serivces button on the phone and they don;t have access to background images, VoiceView Express, Extention Mobility Ect..  I presume this is becouse the services URL is on the 10.1.10.0 subnetwork.   I can;t find any documentation on what VLAN that subnet is on, what the gatweway addressd to that subnet is ect.   I need to build in the routing rules on my sonicwall VPN network to handle this but I am once again stumped by Cisco

Suggestions?

:)

Steven Smith Fri, 12/04/2009 - 08:37
User Badges:

I am a little confused on how your sonic wall is giving them 10.1.1.0 address, but that is ok.

For the subnets you need to access the UC500 over a VPN...

10.1.1.0/24

192.168.10.1/24 (or whatever the data subnet is)

10.1.10.0/30 for the CUE subnet

Let me know how that works for you.

My sonicwall is not doing any DHCP!   I have a Sub Interface V100 on my NSA3500 connected to the expantion port onthe UC520.  My PTP VPN tunnels are running DHCP over VPN,  with the central gateway DHCP server defined as 10.1.1.1 on the 10.1.1.0 subnet V100.

So the phones do connect, get an address from the UC520 and work remarkably well.   I had to go this route becouse the UC520 caps out at 10 VPNS.   I will add a static route for 10.1.10.0/30. 

Do I need to have the Data Subnet If I am just connecting the phones?  is the 10.1.10.0 on VLAN 100?

Steven Smith Fri, 12/04/2009 - 08:46
User Badges:

You might.  If you have anyone who is going to use IP Communicator, they will be on the data subnet.  I have seen some people bind the tftp server to the data vlan ip address as well.  There could be a few other items as well, but that is what I can think of off hand.

On this SIP issue,  I don;t know enough to be of any help.   I know three things.

1) With the default config nexvortex says that they are getting a 500 Internal server error returned.

2)After I did these series of commands they were not

conf t
voice source-group CCA_SIP_SOURCE_GROUP
no access-list 2
translation-profile incoming SIP_Incoming
exit

3) they do only have one gatewy/proxy/domain IP address they give out.  66.23.129.253.    I am happy to give you my auth username/password for them if you want to test it for your self.   email me  [email protected]

brian.russell31... Fri, 12/04/2009 - 09:04
User Badges:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220 Welcome to the most popular FTP hosting service! Save on hardware, software, hosting and admin. Share files/folders with read-write permission. Visit http://www.drivehq.com/ftp/;

Command: USER dharig

Response: 331 User name ok, need password.

Command: PASS ********

Response: 230 User logged on. Free service has restrictions and is slower.

Command: SYST

Response: 215 UNIX emulated by DriveHQ FTP Server.

Command: FEAT

Response: 211-Extensions supported:

Response: SIZE

Response: MLSD

Response: MLST

Response: NLST

Response: MDTM

Response: MFMT

Response: MFCT

Response: MFF Create;Modify;

Response: REST STREAM

Response: UTF8

Response: 211 END

Command: OPTS UTF8 ON

Response: 200 Enable UTF8 mode.

Command: CWD /

Response: 250 CWD command successful. "/" is current directory.

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/" is current directory.

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Type set to I

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,220,9,50,17,33).

Command: MLSD

Response: 150 Connection accepted

Response: 226 Transfer complete

Command: MKD UC520

Error: Connection timed out

Response: 220 Welcome to the most popular FTP hosting service! Save on hardware, software, hosting and admin. Share files/folders with read-write permission. Visit http://www.drivehq.com/ftp/;

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Could not connect to server

Response: 530 not logged on, free users or subusers can have 2 connections only. Please upgrade to premium service on www.drivehq.com. Price starts at $2.99/month.

Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

Status: Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...

Status: Delaying connection for 1 second due to previously failed connection attempt...

Response: 200 Enable UTF8 mode.

Status: Starting upload of \\PIPS-HOMESERVER\Software\Cisco UC520 Software\UC520-7.1.3-ea.zip

Command: CWD /Cisco IOS Images

Response: 250 CWD command successful. "/Cisco IOS Images" is current directory.

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/Cisco IOS Images" is current directory.

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Type set to I

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,220,9,50,25,9).

Command: MLSD

Response: 530 not logged on, free users or subusers can have 2 connections only. Please upgrade to premium service on www.drivehq.com. Price starts at $2.99/month.

Status: Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...

Response: 226 Transfer complete

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,220,9,50,22,21).

Command: STOR UC520-7.1.3-ea.zip

Status: Delaying connection for 1 second due to previously failed connection attempt...

The FTP seems to be failing... I am trying to upload the pack for you....

Steven DiStefano Fri, 12/04/2009 - 08:33
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

We can ask maulik about that specific SIP Trunk SP, but remember its not the Gateways we are concerned about here.  Its the SIP Proxy Servers or Session Border Controllers that handle the SIP Messages (not the RTP media).  Does this SP not have a more limited number of Proxies or SBCs?

Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here.

Steven Smith Fri, 12/04/2009 - 08:33
User Badges:

Ok, there is a bug we have found with netvortex on our system.  When they have multiple via headers, the source group commands don't work correctly.

CSCtc86432

It will be fixed in the 8.0.1 release.  I would also try to find out more information from NetVortex on the issue of constantly changing IP's and too many to list.  That doesn't sound right.

shelfen Sat, 12/05/2009 - 03:15
User Badges:

I think you may have misunderstood what you were told by nexVortex tech support.  There is a very limited number of IPs at nexVortex that send SIP signaling (the IPs that need to be restricted to prevent toll fraud).  There is a much larger group of IPs for RTP transmission that cannot be provided, but since these do not arrive on port 5060 and do not control call signaling, are not a problem for toll fraud.  Hope that helps.

Actions

This Discussion