Views
Helpful
Replies

"Auth Fail" 7975G IP Phone firmware upgrade after UC520 8.0.0

brian.russell31
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys,

When cisco IP phones boots i get presented with the cisco splash screen as if it is trying to upgrade the firmware then I get Auth Fail....

This is after I upgraded to UC520 8.0.0 ......

Can someone please help as the Cisco engineer told me to put a TAC case in..... If I do this, it means everypart of my Cisco Infra has been replaced in the last week.....

I have copied the latest firmware files to my flash card but the phone still display Auth Fail.....

38 Replies 38

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brian,

Have you done the following?

1. Updated your TFTP-SERVER details to reflect the new loads?

2. Have you updated the load in the Telephony-Service section to reflect the new loads?

3. Have you done a debug TFTP event and seen what the error is on the IOS itself?

Check the first two and do the third one, that will help us to help you quicker and easier ;)

If you have any troubles with carrying out the above, let us know and i will provide you with a quick tutorial on how to do it.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

Thanks for your help, a tutorial or dummies guide would be a big help.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

Working on that for you now, i will attach it as soon as it is done, give me a little bit of time to do it up for you as i am juggling some stuff at work right now, but i should have something for you in a couple of hours at worst.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thanks David

Hi Brian,

I just realized halfway through this document, that if you are using CCA version 2.2, the you can quickly update the phone loads using it, if i am not mistaken the way to do this is to drag the phone load (Zipped or Unzipped??) onto the UC-500 icon in CCA and CCA will automatically carry out the TFTP connection and modified the IOS Config to suite the new phone load.

Give that a try whilst i am working on this document, you should only rely on the CLI when the GUI is jut not able to do what you want, the CLI can be a lengthy process and can at times be frustrating, especially if you don't know your way around it (which i dont know if you do or not).

So do the following:

1. Log onto your UC-500 using the latest version of CCA (2.2)
  2. Go to the topology screen
  3. Locate the phone load (Have one zipped and another unzipped)

Drag the Zip file onto the UC-500 icon in the topology screen (Try and keep this file in its original format as it was downloaded from Cisco)

1. If the above does not work for you, drag over the Unzipped file
  2. If the second one does not work for you, then go to the unzipped folder and drag over the files individually
  3. If the upload of the files was successful, you should not technically be able to unplug the phone and then re-power it back up, it should start its updating procedure.

You may also want to factory reset the phone, you do this by holding the # key down and then plug the network cable back in to power it up, the Line lights will begin to flash, and you then press the following: 123456789*0# and this will reset the phone back to factory defaults.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

The phone doesnt appear in the CCA 2.2 window.

Hi Brian,

The phone should need to appear, you drag the files onto the UC-500 icon, this will update the phone loads... or it should at least.

Cheers,

David.

(PS) if you are in urgent need of resolution, i can remote desktop to your system and assist you with what you need to do, this way you can watch what is taking place as well, but that should only be looked at as a last resort if the matter is really urgent.

Message was edited by: David Trad

Ok phone has just appeares... IP address is 10.1.1.11.

However the phone seems to come and go....

The phone load file I have is: UC520-Phone-Loads-8.0.0.tar

is this what I am looking for?

Hi Brian,

If that is what came with the UC-500 system upgrade package then that is the one you should use, the only one i am aware of is the following:

cmterm-7975-sccp.8-5-3.zip

But you are using CME version 8, i dont think i can assit you with this as i have not begun to work shop that release yet so i have no clue about its quirks, problems, issue and any other funny business it has, thus i might end up steering you down the wrong path :(

But if i am not mistaken, if you didnt choose the 7975 phone load when you began the upgrade procedure then the phone loads will not be on the flash card, but the phoen should still load up using its default phone load, if it is not then the problem is something else, and that problem could be related to CME version 8.

Cheers,

David.

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

I once had a problem with a firmware upgrade on a 7931G phone, while I was installing the phone at a UC520 customer. I had already loaded the 7.0.3 software pack and had installed the 7931G phone load on the UC520 unit. I had to perform a factory reset a few times to get it to upgrade, but it eventually took the firmware upgrade.

Thanks John, after tinkering with different versions of the software packs I did manage to get my phone backup.

Me too,   I am getting the same message "AUTH fail" on 7575G phone load with 8.0.  I am wondering exactly what you mean by "tinker"   I hate that a 40 phone Cisco system costs 20K + and you have to even use the word tinker! 

Hi,

I know what you feel... would you beleive after tinkering I did manage to get the phone back up and running.....I had to go back to version 7.0.3 and use the phone loads.... Reset the 7975g phone by using the factory reset method a few times.... and rebooted the uc520 several times... and honestly somehow the phone eventually did load and take the firmware.... Once I had the phone back online I then proceeded with the uc8.0.0 upgrade....

Fingers crossed so far aftr 3 days of Cisco TAC support on sev 3 case I now have a stable enviroment which I dont dare go near incase of the inevatable....

But something like we have should not be like this.......

Let me know if you want my walk through......

Unlike you my phones are stll working fine.  I do have another inbound SIP issue -I digress -   Currently my phones are Load File SCCP75.8-3-2S and the UC520 is showing SCCP75.8.5.3S

I have a Cisco Service Request open now and I am on hold number 613116873.  In case they get a resolution for me or any Cisco folk wana reffrence that case ID.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: