cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Brand New 3845 - Need IOS

kirk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a new Cisco 3845 and am at the ROMON console. I need to download the approapriate IOS however I cannot get a list of the hardware installed. How can I get this if there is no SHOW command in ROMMON? After I get past the hardware list I can do the rest. Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have never heard of a "new" box coming with no IOS .  Are you sure there isn't one in flash ?  Do a dir flash: and see if anything is in there . You could also try from the rommon prompt ,  "boot flash: "

View solution in original post

Go to the Cisco Feature Navigator and choose "Search by Feature".
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

The 3800 ISR has two USB slots and it can support USBs up to 2Gb.  You can copy the IOS from the 64mb CF into the USB and back again into the 256mb CF.  If you want to use the USB, be sure your format the USB (and the 256mb CF) first before putting any files in there using the command "format usbflash0:".

If you want to upgrade the IOS, be aware of the limitations/requirements of the new IOS base on your DRAM.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unless you have some really strange hardware, install the normal IOS you would like to run. You can also look at the interfaces of the router and post them here and we'll look up the IOS for you.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have never heard of a "new" box coming with no IOS .  Are you sure there isn't one in flash ?  Do a dir flash: and see if anything is in there . You could also try from the rommon prompt ,  "boot flash: "

Hi Glen,

You were correct when you said the 3845 came with an IOS. It has 12.4(13r)T. I had removed the 64MB flash memory module from the router when I assembled it and replaced it with a new 256 MB flash module not thinking there was an IOS on the 64MB.

I was able to use the Cisco Software Advisor to build my new system and am now at the Hardware/Software part that is asking me for the feature Set/License that I want. At this point the IOS names contained within are meaningless to me for lack of experience.

Perhaps the best approach for me would be to indicate here what I need and see what the forum recommends.

Wish list for the Router IOS:

1) IPv4 and IPv6 capatible (Stacking) I don't need IPv6 just yet but am considering the future. I may install a Microsoft IPv6 Gateway to leverage their new Direct Access technology that requires IPv6.

2) I need to be able to utilize Cisco IP since I will be upgrading to a Cisco VoIP phone system that will interconnect 8 divisions over MPLS.

3)  Will be upgrading to an MPLS Wide Area Network.

4) Using Class of Service today and need to make sure it is in the chosen IOS.

5) Using OSPF for routing and NetFlow for analysis and want to be sure the new IOS will do the same.

See the list of installed hardware below for reference. Please review and let me know what IOS you all would suggest, thanks.

CIS3845-TS (CISCO3845 W/AC PWR) edit
MOTHERBOARD OPTIONS CISCO3845-MB= (CISCO 3845 MOTHERBOARD) edit
           AIM SLOT 1 Empty edit
           AIM SLOT 2 Empty edit
           PVDM SLOT 0 Empty edit
           PVDM SLOT 1 Empty edit
           PVDM SLOT 2 Empty edit
           PVDM SLOT 3 Empty edit
           SFP MODULE SLOT Empty edit
           HWIC SLOT 0 HWIC-2FE= (Two 10/100 routed port HWIC) edit
           HWIC SLOT 1 WIC-1DSU-T1-V2= (1-Port T1/Fractional T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card: Ver. 2) edit
           HWIC SLOT 2 WIC-1DSU-T1-V2= (1-Port T1/Fractional T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card: Ver. 2) edit
           HWIC SLOT 3 Empty edit
NETWORK MODULE SLOT 1 NM-2W= (2 WAN CARD SLOT NETWORK MODULE(NO LAN)) edit
           WIC0 OPTIONS FOR NM-2W= WIC-1DSU-T1= (1-Port T1/Fractional T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card) edit
           WIC1 OPTIONS FOR NM-2W= WIC-1DSU-T1= (1-Port T1/Fractional T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card) edit
NETWORK MODULE SLOT 2 NM-2W= (2 WAN CARD SLOT NETWORK MODULE(NO LAN)) edit
           WIC0 OPTIONS FOR NM-2W= WIC-1DSU-T1= (1-Port T1/Fractional T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card) edit
           WIC1 OPTIONS FOR NM-2W= WIC-1DSU-T1= (1-Port T1/Fractional T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card) edit
NETWORK MODULE SLOT 3 NM-2W= (2 WAN CARD SLOT NETWORK MODULE(NO LAN)) edit
NETWORK MODULE SLOT 4 NM-4T= (4-Port Sync Serial Network Module) edit

Go to the Cisco Feature Navigator and choose "Search by Feature".
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

The 3800 ISR has two USB slots and it can support USBs up to 2Gb.  You can copy the IOS from the 64mb CF into the USB and back again into the 256mb CF.  If you want to use the USB, be sure your format the USB (and the 256mb CF) first before putting any files in there using the command "format usbflash0:".

If you want to upgrade the IOS, be aware of the limitations/requirements of the new IOS base on your DRAM.

Hope this helps.

Hi Leolaohoo, thanks for the advice. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Can I format the new 256MB flash after I take the 64MB flash out? If so how do I do that when the IOS that is on the 64MB flash will be removed. Also, can I connect a USB that is already formated that I use on my windows PC and that is bigger than the 2GB limit?

Yes you can format the 256 card and you can insert a usb flash drive in the usb port. However I dont recommend you to load the IOS from the usb drive, as the performance (data transfer) is much less than the compact flash. You should keep the usbflash for IOS backups and archives of your confit

Can I format the new 256MB flash after I take the 64MB flash out?
Yes you can.  The command is "format flash:"

If so how do I do that when the IOS that is on the 64MB flash will be removed.
Copy the IOS from the 64mb CF to the USB.  The command is "copy flash: usbflash0:".  You can use either usbflash0: or usbflash1: depending as to which slot the USB is inserted.  Replace the 64mb with the 256mb CF and copy the IOS back into the CF from the USB.  The command would then be "copy usbflash0: flash:".

Also, can I connect a USB that is already formated that I use on my windows PC and that is bigger than the 2GB limit?
Yes and no.  Cisco filesystem is FAT32.

I agree with Lucien.  I have in my kit a 512mb USB and a 2Gb CF.  Both are formatted for Cisco and contains various Cisco appliance firmware/IOS.

Hope this  helps and thanks for the rating.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the Compact Flash is properly inserted in it's slot (if a CF did came with it). 

How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via TFTP Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9e.shtml

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

You can use the dir flash: command to check what is on the flash card.

If nothing, you can copy on the flash card using a usb card reader for example the 3845 IOS that you can download from:

http://cco/cisco/web/download/index.html

Then simply from rommon, use the command boot flash:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card