Load balancing from VMware ESX server multiple NICs to cat6500

Answered Question
Nov 24th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

We have IBM Vmware servers with multiple NIC cards (up to 10) but on the catalyst 6500 switch all the traffic is only going thru 1 or 2 of the NICs

is there any  documentation available that covers the setup of  both the VMware server and the Cisco switch,

I have seen on various bloggs that on the switch the Etherchannel load-balancing should be set to "src-dst-ip" and “Route based on ip hash” on the ESX Server side.

so it would be nice to see some definitive documentation on the subject.

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 7 years 7 months ago

chrbradf1 wrote:

We have IBM Vmware servers with multiple NIC cards (up to 10) but on the catalyst 6500 switch all the traffic is only going thru 1 or 2 of the NICs

is there any  documentation available that covers the setup of  both the VMware server and the Cisco switch,

I have seen on various bloggs that on the switch the Etherchannel load-balancing should be set to "src-dst-ip" and “Route based on ip hash” on the ESX Server side.

A lot depends on your actual setup and you choose the algorithm that will give the most even distribution of traffic across the links. Here is a link to the Cisco design doc for VMWare in the data centre which is worth a read -

VMWare design doc

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Tue, 11/24/2009 - 16:33
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

chrbradf1 wrote:

A lot depends on your actual setup and you choose the algorithm that will give the most even distribution of traffic across the links. Here is a link to the Cisco design doc for VMWare in the data centre which is worth a read -

VMWare design doc

Jon

Richard Bradfield Wed, 11/25/2009 - 13:56
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Jon,

thanks for the document , thats what I have been looking for

Actions

This Discussion