Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing from VMware ESX server multiple NICs to cat6500

We have IBM Vmware servers with multiple NIC cards (up to 10) but on the catalyst 6500 switch all the traffic is only going thru 1 or 2 of the NICs

is there any  documentation available that covers the setup of  both the VMware server and the Cisco switch,

I have seen on various bloggs that on the switch the Etherchannel load-balancing should be set to "src-dst-ip" and “Route based on ip hash” on the ESX Server side.

so it would be nice to see some definitive documentation on the subject.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

chrbradf1 wrote:

We have IBM Vmware servers with multiple NIC cards (up to 10) but on the catalyst 6500 switch all the traffic is only going thru 1 or 2 of the NICs

is there any  documentation available that covers the setup of  both the VMware server and the Cisco switch,

I have seen on various bloggs that on the switch the Etherchannel load-balancing should be set to "src-dst-ip" and “Route based on ip hash” on the ESX Server side.

A lot depends on your actual setup and you choose the algorithm that will give the most even distribution of traffic across the links. Here is a link to the Cisco design doc for VMWare in the data centre which is worth a read -

VMWare design doc

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

chrbradf1 wrote:

A lot depends on your actual setup and you choose the algorithm that will give the most even distribution of traffic across the links. Here is a link to the Cisco design doc for VMWare in the data centre which is worth a read -

VMWare design doc

Jon

Jon,

thanks for the document , thats what I have been looking for

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: