LMS 3.2 DFM email notification problem

Unanswered Question
Nov 25th, 2009

Hi,

I have an issues with DFM email notifications in a newly installed LMS 3.2. The problem is that I can see the alerts appearing on Alerts&Activities, but no email arrives. The used SMTP server is working - another applications able to send email notifications via it. My question is which logfiles can give me some information what is the root cause of this problem?

Thanks,

Imre

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Wed, 11/25/2009 - 09:36

Enable Notification Services debugging, and check the NMSROOT/log/dfmLogs/NOS/nos.log for errors.  A sniffer trace filtering on tcp/25 traffic between the LMS and SMTP servers would also be helpful.

p.imre Wed, 11/25/2009 - 12:04

Hi jclarke,

Thanks for the aswer. I will enable Notification Services debugging to see any error in the log. Unfortunately I forgot to save the nos.log from the server, but as far as I can remember, there is some error messages in it without debugging enabled. I try to get the file tomorrow, and I post it in this discussion. I already sniffed the traffic - there is no SMTP traffic from LMS to SMTP server. But from CLI via blat email sending is works. So it seems to be there is some error with DFM only.

Regards,

Imre

Joe Clarke Wed, 11/25/2009 - 13:38

Also, make sure you have setup the SMTP server address correctly in DFM.  DFM does not use the Common Services configuration for SMTP.  It uses its own SMTP server value.

p.imre Wed, 12/09/2009 - 02:12

Hi jclarke,

Sorrry for the delayed answer, but I had no time to contact with customer. So I checked SMTP server, settings are good. To check if its a DNS related problem I changed the SMTP server's name to IP address. I attached nos.log, and it seems to have several errors. Have you got any idea regarding this issue? I have installed a lot of LMS, but earlier or later there is some problem with DFM, aspecially with notification services

Thanks,

Imre

Attachment: 
Joe Clarke Wed, 12/09/2009 - 14:25

Start a sniffer trace filtering on tcp/25 traffic between the LMS and SMTP servers.  Generate a DFM event which should send an email notification.  Then check the sniffer trace to see what the conversation looks like between DFM and the SMTP server.

The logs do not indicate any kind of problem.

p.imre Thu, 12/10/2009 - 02:11

Hi jclarke,

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately as I mentioned earlier customer already sniffed the traffic - there is no SMTP traffic from LMS to SMTP server. If using blat from cli to send emails, it works with the same SMTP server. I can see events on the alerts and events tab, and no email messages.

What should I check for to find out what is the problem?

Thanks,

Imre 

Joe Clarke Thu, 12/10/2009 - 09:27

Post a screenshot of your notification group configuration along with an example event which is seen in AAD, but for which you do not see an email notification.

p.imre Thu, 12/10/2009 - 12:17

Ok, tomorrow I will be onsite at the customer, and will do the

requested tasks.

REgards,

Imre

p.imre Mon, 03/08/2010 - 05:54

Hi jclarke,

After a long delay, I have another updated information regaring this issue: not only email notifications doesnt work, but SNMP as well. I reinit DFM databases, but seems to be no effect. I have only one more idea: to reinstall DFM, I hope it will help.

REgards

Imre

Joe Clarke Mon, 03/08/2010 - 10:58

Sorry, I missed your replies.  Your configuration looks okay, and if you reinitialized the databases, and there is still a problem, that could point to issues with the SMTP server handling DFM's emails.  Post the updated nos.log and NOSServer.log.

p.imre Tue, 03/09/2010 - 01:55

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. We already checked that SMTP server via blat installed on the LMS server, and it works. I can produce the logs tomorrow. But As I checked it seems, that with SNMP notifications the situation is the same: it doesnt works. Howewer SNMP trap frowarding in DFM works well. So I' am run out of the ideas... Have you ever seen such an issue where notification services doesnt works at all? What about a DFM modul reinstallation?

My last option is a TAC Case, but my last TAC Case for an LMS related issue was a neverending story, and TAC was unable to solve it...

REgards,

Imre

Joe Clarke Tue, 03/09/2010 - 22:50

I have seen bugs in earlier versions of DFM where notifications did not work at all.  A reinstall may help, but without understanding the root cause of the problem, I cannot say for certain.

p.imre Wed, 03/10/2010 - 00:22

Well, this "solved" bug can be the root cause. FEw days ago I had an error message with SNMPv3, and in the release notes I found that it was a bug in the earlier version of RME, and it should have been solved in LMS 3.2. So maybe there is a bug. I try toi find the bug IDs, but it would be great if you can send me them.

Thanks,

Imre

Joe Clarke Wed, 03/10/2010 - 10:36

I know those bugs are not affecting you.  I filed them.  I need to see the new logs.

p.imre Thu, 03/11/2010 - 01:59

Hi Joe,

Here are the uploaded log files.

Regards,

Imre

ps: How exactly this notification services works? Can you shortly explain it to me? What process or script do the email sending, etc. Is it possible, that some Windows related thing causes the issue? AV or some missing Windows component?

Attachment: 
Joe Clarke Thu, 03/11/2010 - 09:48

I see a bug here, but it's not clear why you are seeing and no one else.  If you open a service request with TAC, I can provide you a patch to test.  Have your engineer contact me directly to get the patch.

p.imre Thu, 03/11/2010 - 13:01

Oh, it sounds great   I spent a lot of time to try to find out what is the problem. I searched the Bud toolkit, but cannot find LMS 3.2 at all... so I am unable to find the mentioned bug. Can you please send me the bug ID? I will contact with TAC, and ask the engineer to get contact with you for the patch.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Imre

Joe Clarke Thu, 03/11/2010 - 14:52

The bug ID does not exist yet.  This is a new bug, and as I said, I am not sure why everyone is not seeing this.  More analysis needs to be done which is why I suggested you open a TAC service request.

p.imre Thu, 03/11/2010 - 06:55

One more update: VIa the same SMTP server I can get email notification from the other moduls of LMS, e.g. CS sends me email about a successful backup. I checked the other notification types agaai, and I can see, that there is no snmp notification, while SNMP trap forwarding works...

Joe Clarke Sun, 05/30/2010 - 10:39

I ended up filing CSCtg43956 for this issue.  My patch has been successful for customers so far.  The patch is available by contacting TAC.

Mohamed Shafeer Sun, 12/26/2010 - 02:25

Hi Clarke,

I am having a small quick question.

We are running LMS 3.2

And getting email notifications too. BUt they are so many.

We need to filter it out. Now we get minimum 200 emails from LMS DFM regarding various issues.

Its hard to find out whihc one is critical.

Could you pls help me in filtering this ?

-Shaf

vialves Fri, 05/21/2010 - 07:58

Hi everyone.

I'm hitting the exact same issue, but  I'm running on LMS 2.6, with  DFM 2.0.10. Looked at Bug Toolkit, but I  couldn't find any good information there. Could it be possible to be the same bug?

Thanks in advance.

p.imre Mon, 05/31/2010 - 05:24

Hi Joe,

I just want to inform you, that there is still some poblem with DFM Notificaiton services. The patch was good, but after a while notification sending stopped. LMS was restarted twice since the last email arrived, and there is no email, but there is Alerts in DFM. I have the sam situation earlier wit LMS 3.1, for that issu TAC was unable to find a solution. Any idea what should be checked? I will contact with Nadi Hamarneh as well again to  reopen the case.

Thanks for any updates,

Regards:

Imre

Joe Clarke Mon, 05/31/2010 - 19:09

Yes, definitely reopen the SR.  The TAC engineer will collect the nos.log which should provide a starting point for further troubleshooting.

MICHAEL BASTINCK Tue, 06/01/2010 - 07:55

Hi Joe,

As I havet the same problem and already installed the patch it did not resolved my problem

The patch I installed is :

ProcessEPMDataManager$EpmDataQueueItem$epmAlarmHistory.class

ProcessEPMDataManager$EpmDataQueueItem$epmConditionHistory.class

ProcessEPMDataManager$EpmDataQueueItem$epmEventProperties.class

ProcessEPMDataManager$EpmDataQueueItem.class

ProcessEPMDataManager.class

nos.jar

After net starting the crmdmgtd still the same issue

The devises are all within KNOWN state but if you look in the notification set up the error message state that the devices are not KNOWN state within the DFM.

Any Clue?

Thanks in advance,

Ron.W

Joe Clarke Tue, 06/01/2010 - 14:20

Since you have an SR opened, work with your engineer to first verify the patched files were installed properly.  Then, check the nos.log to see if the error remains the same (the problem relating to this bug resulted in a NoSuchElementException in the nos.log).

Actions

This Discussion