Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 DFM email notification problem

p.imre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an issues with DFM email notifications in a newly installed LMS 3.2. The problem is that I can see the alerts appearing on Alerts&Activities, but no email arrives. The used SMTP server is working - another applications able to send email notifications via it. My question is which logfiles can give me some information what is the root cause of this problem?

Thanks,

Imre

30 Replies 30

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Enable Notification Services debugging, and check the NMSROOT/log/dfmLogs/NOS/nos.log for errors.  A sniffer trace filtering on tcp/25 traffic between the LMS and SMTP servers would also be helpful.

Hi jclarke,

Thanks for the aswer. I will enable Notification Services debugging to see any error in the log. Unfortunately I forgot to save the nos.log from the server, but as far as I can remember, there is some error messages in it without debugging enabled. I try to get the file tomorrow, and I post it in this discussion. I already sniffed the traffic - there is no SMTP traffic from LMS to SMTP server. But from CLI via blat email sending is works. So it seems to be there is some error with DFM only.

Regards,

Imre

Also, make sure you have setup the SMTP server address correctly in DFM.  DFM does not use the Common Services configuration for SMTP.  It uses its own SMTP server value.

Hi jclarke,

Sorrry for the delayed answer, but I had no time to contact with customer. So I checked SMTP server, settings are good. To check if its a DNS related problem I changed the SMTP server's name to IP address. I attached nos.log, and it seems to have several errors. Have you got any idea regarding this issue? I have installed a lot of LMS, but earlier or later there is some problem with DFM, aspecially with notification services

Thanks,

Imre

Start a sniffer trace filtering on tcp/25 traffic between the LMS and SMTP servers.  Generate a DFM event which should send an email notification.  Then check the sniffer trace to see what the conversation looks like between DFM and the SMTP server.

The logs do not indicate any kind of problem.

Hi jclarke,

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately as I mentioned earlier customer already sniffed the traffic - there is no SMTP traffic from LMS to SMTP server. If using blat from cli to send emails, it works with the same SMTP server. I can see events on the alerts and events tab, and no email messages.

What should I check for to find out what is the problem?

Thanks,

Imre 

Post a screenshot of your notification group configuration along with an example event which is seen in AAD, but for which you do not see an email notification.

Ok, tomorrow I will be onsite at the customer, and will do the

requested tasks.

REgards,

Imre

Hi jclarke,

On friday I collected all the required information, please find attached.

Regards,

Imre

Hi jclarke,

After a long delay, I have another updated information regaring this issue: not only email notifications doesnt work, but SNMP as well. I reinit DFM databases, but seems to be no effect. I have only one more idea: to reinstall DFM, I hope it will help.

REgards

Imre

Sorry, I missed your replies.  Your configuration looks okay, and if you reinitialized the databases, and there is still a problem, that could point to issues with the SMTP server handling DFM's emails.  Post the updated nos.log and NOSServer.log.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. We already checked that SMTP server via blat installed on the LMS server, and it works. I can produce the logs tomorrow. But As I checked it seems, that with SNMP notifications the situation is the same: it doesnt works. Howewer SNMP trap frowarding in DFM works well. So I' am run out of the ideas... Have you ever seen such an issue where notification services doesnt works at all? What about a DFM modul reinstallation?

My last option is a TAC Case, but my last TAC Case for an LMS related issue was a neverending story, and TAC was unable to solve it...

REgards,

Imre

I have seen bugs in earlier versions of DFM where notifications did not work at all.  A reinstall may help, but without understanding the root cause of the problem, I cannot say for certain.

Well, this "solved" bug can be the root cause. FEw days ago I had an error message with SNMPv3, and in the release notes I found that it was a bug in the earlier version of RME, and it should have been solved in LMS 3.2. So maybe there is a bug. I try toi find the bug IDs, but it would be great if you can send me them.

Thanks,

Imre

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco