join switch ports together

Unanswered Question
Nov 25th, 2009
User Badges:

cisco 2651XM router

IOS: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin

NM-16-ESW switch fitted

regarding the switch ports (F1/0 to F1/15):

is there a command that will join two or more switch ports together and make them act as plain hub ports?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Wed, 11/25/2009 - 13:30
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

"join two or more switch ports together"
You mean etherchannel?  Yes, it's supported.

"make them act as plain hub ports"
Hub ports?  Can you please elaborate?  Otherwise you can put/assign two or more ports into a VLAN.

tonyspcrepairs Wed, 11/25/2009 - 13:48
User Badges:

the ports in question are already on the same vlan, but I want them to behave as plain hub ports and not switch ports.

LordFlasheart Thu, 11/26/2009 - 05:14
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I'm not sure I catch your drift here. Ports in the same VLAN are in the same broadcast domain a la a hub albeit not in the same collision domain.

tonyspcrepairs Thu, 11/26/2009 - 06:31
User Badges:

yes that's it, I want two or more ports in the same collision domain, just like a hub.

Nagendra Kumar ... Thu, 11/26/2009 - 08:44
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

On a switch, each port will be in a different collision domain. This is one maj

Do you have any specific reason to have 2 ports in same collision domain?.

Regards,

Nagendra

tonyspcrepairs Thu, 11/26/2009 - 08:49
User Badges:

yes I do have a reason.

is there a command that will join two or more switch ports so they are in same collision domain? - like a hub?

Leo Laohoo Thu, 11/26/2009 - 13:41
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I have no idea about the others but I still don't know why you want a Layer 2 switch to behave exactly like a Layer 1 hub.  How about connecting both ports to a hub?  Are you trying to set up packet sniffing?

tonyspcrepairs Fri, 11/27/2009 - 04:43
User Badges:

yes I am currently using the monitor command on the router to sniff packets on a port, but I'm only allowed one monitor session at a time on my platform so I can only sniff one switch port at a time. I've got a PC running wireshark connected to the monitor destination port for packet sniffing. I know I could use a hub to sniff multiple ports but it would be more convenient if I could do away with the hub and sniff multiple ports from the NM-16-ESW switch I'm using.

LordFlasheart Fri, 11/27/2009 - 04:51
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

monitor session 1 source vlan x

That should do you on multiple ports in the same VLAN.

Or monitor session 1 source int fa 0/1, 0/2, 0/3 if you want to tie down particular ports.

tonyspcrepairs Fri, 11/27/2009 - 07:01
User Badges:

thanks for your response, but I can't get those commands to work.

router(config)#monitor session 1 source vlan 1
SPAN Source Vlan is not supported in this platform

router(config)#monitor session 1 source int fa 0/1, 0/2, 0/3

doesn't work either. It doesn't recognise the commas, doesn't recognise spaces, doesn't seem to allow more than one port to be specified - unless I'm doing it wrong.

if I query what's available this is what I get:

router(config)#monitor session 1 source int ?
  FastEthernet  FastEthernet IEEE 802.3
  Port-channel  Ethernet Channel of interfaces:

there doesn't seem to be any way to choose multiple ports.

tonyspcrepairs Fri, 11/27/2009 - 07:55
User Badges:

hang on I think I might have got it. I had no idea there were more configs available after the FastEthernet number. This command appears to have done the trick:

router(config)#monitor session 1 source int fa 1/14 - 15

I can now sniff traffic on the these two ports.

I originally tried sniffing four ports (12 - 15, to include my cisco ip phone) but this seemed to knock the phone out. The above command seems to work for a range of ports but I still haven't worked out how to select specific ports.

Jon Marshall Thu, 11/26/2009 - 14:43
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

tonyspcrepairs wrote:

yes I do have a reason.

is there a command that will join two or more switch ports so they are in same collision domain? - like a hub?

It's not 20 questions. The reason you were asked why you wanted to do it was that there might be a different way to achieve what you want.

Can a switch act as a hub - sure, a switch can only hold so many mac-addresses in it's cam table and if the cam table is full then it has to flood all packets to all ports. So just get typing with the mac-addresses

Jon

Actions

This Discussion